Properties of Noble Gases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mia305

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always forget this, so maybe one of you know...
Noble gases have zero IE, EN, or EA?
I'm pretty sure that is has the highest ionization energy, but doesn't it have zero EN or EA because it already has a full octet? Can somebody clarify this?

Members don't see this ad.

The group 8A, noble gases, are the least reactive of all groups. Why? It's because of the way their electros are arranged. They have their octet filled, so they don't want to do much.

Ionization Enery is a measure of how well the atom holds onto its electrons; larger elements hold their electrons less tightly, so electrons are easier to pull off so the IE is smaller (Here, remember the trend of atomic radius)

Electron Affinity is the desire by an atom for more electrons. THe group 8A, noble gases, are exlcluded; they already possess some of the most favored configurations and they really don't want more electrons. (stable octet)

Electronegativity is a measure of an atom's pull on shared electrons; it's a measure of an atom's greed for shared electrons. Noble gases are also excluded from this trend. Reason not too sure, but i did some research and found that it's due to extreme limitations on bonds for noble gase elements.

Hope this helps!