Proportion of applicants NOT interested in IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnxietyMonster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like most people I run into applying DR are also applying IR or are interested in ESIR. I'm not exactly sure on the number, but i'd say >50% in my experience (though my N isn't phenomenally high). I'm curious if this is a new situation or something that has been common for a while.

It's strange to me as there seem to be >5 DRs for every IR in the wild. Do people change their mind? Are medical students wanting DR but pursuing IR for additional career options and pathways? If this is a new phenomenon, what's changed?

Members don't see this ad.

Back when IR fellowship was separate from radiology residency, the IR fellowship fill rate was usually close to 100%. So it's been competitive/desirable for a while.

What changed recently was the introduction of the IR/DR pathways (including ESIR). That happened a few years ago. The first year of the IR/DR match it was competitive on the level of plastics and derm.

I think two things happened around that time. 1) people who would have considered other competitive procedural specialties (plastics, ortho, ENT, etc..) opted into radiology if they happened to prefer the IR procedures. 2) a large chunk of people applying DR are flattering themselves that they can get something slightly more competitive

There's definitely far more DR's in the wild than IR. A large number of people change their minds after doing their first IR rotation. I personally did a surgical internship, enjoy procedures, and was interested in IR early in residency. Found out that I enjoy not being on pager call, being called into the hospital in the middle of the night and didn't particularly enjoy the endovascular procedures anyway.

the IR/DR stuff is like plastic surgery. Integrated plastic surgery residency is super competitive. Plastics after gen surgery is not. The integrated IR/DR pathways are competitive; doing a 2 year IR residency after DR residency will not be super competitive.

Reactions: 1 users