Pros and Cons of 3 programs.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floss'n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Vandy (4 and 6 year)
2. Knoxville
3. UAB

and also, anyone got some info on the difference in the 4 and 6 yr at vandy. whats the deal? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Vandy (4 and 6 year)
2. Knoxville
3. UAB

and also, anyone got some info on the difference in the 4 and 6 yr at vandy. whats the deal? thanks

Knoxville is a 4-year program with no competing specialties (ENT,Plastics), so they have a pretty broad scope. Dr. Carlson is supposedly a really nice guy and good teacher. The other faculty are older and I don't know anything about them. Knoxville is also a great medium-size town in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains.

I externed at Vanderbilt, but this was about 6 years ago. I liked the fact that it was a private hospital, but also a level I trauma center. This means you get to see all the crazy trauma in a nice facility. It's usually a run down county hospital where this stuff goes to. Nashville is also a great town, in my opinion. The downsides were expensive med school tuition, but now there's a 4-year program.

There are some UAB guys who hang out here and could tell you about it better than I can. I lived in Birmingham for a year and loved it. It's a great place to raise kids, if you're into that stuff.

1. Vandy (4 and 6 year)
2. Knoxville
3. UAB

I don't know much about the 1st 2 programs...

UAB is sweet... We've got one of the widest scoped programs with heavy emphasis on orthognathics, trauma, strong dentoalveolar, a good amount of cosmetics, a good amount of TMJ, a decent pathology exposure with our 5-6 months with Dr. Holmes, some secondary cleft lip and palate repair. Most of the residents here are real easy to get along with (there are only 2 people I don't really like in the program and 1 is finishing this year:D ). The faculty are real strong and pretty approachable. We have 40 months on service experience with only an 8 month general surgery year (we do our 4 month anesthesia rotation during the general surgery year:thumbup: ), and a total of 20 months of med school. We get to moonlight for the latter 5 years of the program.

The cons I would say would be that the faculty are pretty anal in the sense that they like things done their way, and by God, you better make sure it gets done their way. That's probably the only con worth mentioning. Anything else is pretty nit-picky.

The city is real nice, easy to stay away from "bad" neighborhoods. It's a good city for families and swingers as well baby. Any more specifics I'd be happy to share if you have any more questions...

Members don't see this ad :)
Knoxville is heavily weighted towards oncology. That is Carlson's area of expertise. When I was there I saw more resections that extractions.

I don't know much about the 1st 2 programs...

UAB is sweet... We've got one of the widest scoped programs with heavy emphasis on orthognathics, trauma, strong dentoalveolar, a good amount of cosmetics, a good amount of TMJ, a decent pathology exposure with our 5-6 months with Dr. Holmes, some secondary cleft lip and palate repair. Most of the residents here are real easy to get along with (there are only 2 people I don't really like in the program and 1 is finishing this year:D ). The faculty are real strong and pretty approachable. We have 40 months on service experience with only an 8 month general surgery year (we do our 4 month anesthesia rotation during the general surgery year:thumbup: ), and a total of 20 months of med school. We get to moonlight for the latter 5 years of the program.

The cons I would say would be that the faculty are pretty anal in the sense that they like things done their way, and by God, you better make sure it gets done their way. That's probably the only con worth mentioning. Anything else is pretty nit-picky.

The city is real nice, easy to stay away from "bad" neighborhoods. It's a good city for families and swingers as well baby. Any more specifics I'd be happy to share if you have any more questions...

What's the history of your program taking chicks? Don't you have one now?

What's the history of your program taking chicks? Don't you have one now?

Guess you didn't see this month's JOMS... There's a photo of all of 'em in there... I think I counted 3 girls. One of the blondes looked kind of cute.