Jul 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone have some pros and cons for applying for early admission? I haven't chosen an exact school or anything like that. I just wanted some opinions from either people who have done this or considered doing it. Thank you!

Edit: I'm not sure if it is clear what I am asking, but I am referring to those schools that hold open spots(like 10) for early admissions. From my understanding this can only be to one school and you are not allowed to apply to another school until their decision has been made.

Last edited:

TrueWolverine

2+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Pros- Adcoms do rolling admission so it's like first come first serve as long as they like you. The sooner you get stuff in the closer to the front of the line you are. Applying to late can mean not getting in, no matter what your stats are.

Cons- If you are waiting for grade retakes or an mcat score to show up it may be better to wait a little bit. Still better to apply as early as possible for your situation.

Tips- Do some digging and use the search function. This subject is posted on like every other thread

OP
K
Jul 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Pros- Adcoms do rolling admission so it's like first come first serve as long as they like you. The sooner you get stuff in the closer to the front of the line you are. Applying to late can mean not getting in, no matter what your stats are.

Cons- If you are waiting for grade retakes or an mcat score to show up it may be better to wait a little bit. Still better to apply as early as possible for your situation.

Tips- Do some digging and use the search function. This subject is posted on like every other thread
Thank you. And for some reason when I search things on this app I can't seem to find anything. The same forums pop up for everything and I look through them, but there's so many pages I can't find anything. Any tips on how to narrow done the results? Or does this not happen for you when you search?

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone have some pros and cons for applying for early admission? I haven't chosen an exact school or anything like that. I just wanted some opinions from either people who have done this or considered doing it. Thank you!
Its better to apply early because admissions is on a rolling basis at most schools. It also good to get all the pressure of applications and interviews out of the way and enjoy your final year of freedom as much as possible before medical school assuming you get accepted somewhere.

I do not really see many cons whatsoever to applying as early as possible, its in your best interest to apply early. Maybe the only con might be some schools might delay their answer in admissions or in some cases you might get wait listed at a school you wanted to go to and later be off that list, only to already take an acceptance somewhere else.

OP
K
Jul 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Its better to apply early because admissions is on a rolling basis at most schools. It also good to get all the pressure of applications and interviews out of the way and enjoy your final year of freedom as much as possible before medical school assuming you get accepted somewhere.
Thank you for your input. When I mentioned early admissions I was actually referring to the early admissions some schools do when you apply for one of the few early spots, but it needs to be your top pick school and you are not able to apply anywhere else until that school has made their decision. I'm not sure if that came across in my original post or if the previous responders to the post understood I was referring to that.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you for your input. When I mentioned early admissions I was actually referring to the early admissions some schools do when you apply for one of the few early spots, but it needs to be your top pick school and you are not able to apply anywhere else until that school has made their decision. I'm not sure if that came across in my original post or if the previous responders to the post understood I was referring to that.
I knew someone from my interview group who got in my school, we both were one of the early ones, sent our deposits, she got wait listed at another school closer to home, and then she decided to go there when they accepted her off that list. She wound up forfeiting the deposit she gave to my school, that is the main downside of applying early. When a school accepts you they also give you a certain amount of time to accept your offer and send your deposit to hold your seat in the class. DO school deposits are not small.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I knew someone from my interview group who got in my school, we both were one of the early ones, sent our deposits, she got wait listed at another school closer to home, and then she decided to go there when they accepted her off that list. She wound up forfeiting the deposit she gave to my school, that is the main downside of applying early. When a school accepts you they also give you a certain amount of time to accept your offer and send your deposit to hold your seat in the class. DO school deposits are not small.

Early Admission is not the same as applying early. It's essentially you saying that if you get accepted you'll attend and will not apply to any other schools within your application system.

Reactions: kalle001

Henry101

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What schools are you referring to? Are there DO schools that are still taking Early Admissions applicants?

OP
K
Jul 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
What schools are you referring to? Are there DO schools that are still taking Early Admissions applicants?
So far I only read about two. Marian University and VCOM in VA(I believe that one did)

Edit: did more research and found that ATSU, CUCOM, VaVCOM, ScVCOM, Marian University, Rocky Vista

Last edited:

Henry101

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student
So far I only read about two. Marian University and VCOM in VA(I believe that one did)

Edit: did more research and found that ATSU, CUCOM, VaVCOM, ScVCOM, Marian University, Rocky Vista
Interesting.
Thank you for digging that up. I appreciate it.

Reactions: kalle001