pros and cons of defering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReddogLover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there has been discussions of defering on here before, but I am considering defering, and my medical school will grant them pretty easily (unlike some other schools I have heard of).

I am young (22 years old), I feel mentally drained (but, so does everyone, right?), I would like to travel a little bit, so why shouldn't I defer?

Pros and Cons would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has thought about or actually defered after undergrad.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should defer. If you defer, you will not have classes with me!

(Arkansas, right?)

by the way, deferring will cost you at least $100,000 in lost wages (one less year of earnings). Just think, if you don't defer, that $100,000 will pay your tuition for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
But you'll earn money the year you defer! And we all know that money now is worth more than money later. =)

Really, though, I think taking a year off can be an invaluable experience for you personally (all money matters aside). It's a good time to reflect on what you want out of life, have fun, and save up your studying stamina for med school! I highly recommend it.

1 years wages as a nurse's aid vs 1 years salary as a doctor.

the scale is not balanced.

I definitely vote for defering....... I was in the same situation after college- two majors, both fairly difficult (bio and computer science). By the time I got my diploma, all I wanted to do is drink........ I moved to a big city with a few friends and got a research job with a great team. Flexible enough to travel and do random fun fun stuff, but still enough work to get my name on several publications. Looking back at first and second year, I do realize one thing- if I started med school straight out of college, I would have dropped out along time ago. I really needed to get a lot of things out of my system before chaining myself down to the library desk, otherwise I would have felt as if I was completely missing out on being a young drunk and stupid 20-something year old...... just my 0.02..... if you are already burnt out, take the year off. Good luck!!!!!!

that is a good point. My opinion is a little slanted because I wss 29 when I started college. If you are burnt out, then relax a while.

It could be a good idea to deffer to recover from a burnout. It would also give you a different perspective on life. So what if you loose some money! How much do you need for retirement? How much do you need, period? You'll get plenty of time to make up for it and will accumulate new life experience which may prove invaluable in the near future.
What good is it to be in school if you're burnt-out? Take a break; as long as you make damn sure to come back the next year in better shape, with a refreshed mind. It might all make you a better doctor
wink.gif

I would also like to point out that if your goal in life were to maximize your NPV (net present value - i.e. money) you probably would not be going to medical school, but rather working as an investment banker or starting an internet company. Therefore, I assume you are not too concerned about money and will appreciated the emotional benefit of a year off. Many med students also end up taking a year off between 3rd and 4th years, so now is not your only chance. Good luck! =)

I agree with Hallie. If making money is the most important thing for someone, they should register in another professional program, such as MBA, or Law. It would be more rewarding financially, and would spare a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

My eyes have just been opened!!!!!! I am dropping out of med school and changing my focus on business so I can make money!!!!!!

I can't believe I have wasted all this time in science classes.

Thank you for the insight.

Of course, you can make a lot of money being a doctor, but it takes a lot of work and dedication to become one... A lot more than for most other professions. I cannot imagine someone going through all that touble if he/she was not dedicated to medicine and patient care.

[This message has been edited by Kamikaze Dino (edited 03-13-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think becoming a doctor necessarily takes more work than other professions. However, not earning money for an extra 7+ years will hurt your lifelong earnings more than if you had pursued another profession. But, there's a reason why we make that sacrifice - because the job is worth it!!! =)

I disagree with Hallie. I have been thinking about it, and I stand by my statement. I cannot think of a profession that requires more dedication than medicine.

Speaking purely from my experiences. I would recommend deferring if you have the inkling.

I deferred my entrance into med school for 2 years (long story). It was worthwhile for me for so many reasons. I got a chance to experience life as something other than being a student, meet people who were not students (and did not have school in their thoughts), work on things that could be immediately realized (not delayed gratification like school), nice steady/disposable income (not great $$$, but much better than the Spartan life I led as a student), the list could go on.

But the greatest aspect of deferring is the perspective it gave me. Most of my classmates came directly to med school from their respective undergrad colleges. Being an MD is all that they have been striving towards. So much of their self-worth and identity is tied up in this image. Deferring introduced me to a life where medicine was only something that you think of when you need your physical once a year. Though medicine may be the be all and end all for many of us on these boards, we need to realize that for most people and most of the world that image is just insignificant.

Do I think there is any problem with going straight to med school? not at all. I just wanted to throw my support towards deferring and offer another perspective. Ultimately, you?ll make your choice based on your own needs and wants.

Good luck.

Well, I chose to take that deferment as a "year-off"...I waited to apply until my senior year of undergrad and not going to med school directly from undergrad at age 22. I needed to some time off, to mature, to get married, to relax, etc, before I headed off to med school. I actually planned the whole thing during my junior year when I realized that spending a semester in Venezuela and getting a double major was more important than going to medical school "on-time". It has been an EXCELLENT decision for me and I think defering must also be a personal choice. Now I am READY to go to med school this fall! Here I come!!

-Elizabeth

I am planning on deferring as well. I'm a junior right now on a five year degree. I'm applying in summer 2002 for the fall of 2003 class, then deferring. I'm only applying to schools that allow deferring. Ultimately, I'd like to get accepted to MSU-CHM, MSU-COM, or U of Michigan, and then defer a year. I would be able to gain residency (saving $18K/year...there goes that immediate gratification theory), get a job as a tech or EMT, and get to know either East Lansing or Ann Arbor. I think deferring is a great idea. After five years, two majors and 191 credits, and going through the whole application process, I don't think I'll mind taking a while off.

Eric

********NO NO NO NO NO***********************
I don't think that's a good idea. I would suggest you go ahead and get it over with. Afterall if you decide to defer; in your third year of residency your going to say to yourself, "I could be getting my MD/DO this year" ;)

*********oops sorry******************
I didn't mean third year of residency but of med school just thought I'd clarify that. :oops:

Sometimes timing is crucial. If your stats are outstanding, then maybe you can afford to risk deferral. If great but not outstanding, then you might want to factor present economic conditions into your decision. The high tech industry is suddenly not as attractive to undergrads as it was. You can be sure that some very bright folks who were looking at high tech will now shift their sights towards health care. It is possible that competition for med school openings in 2002 and 2003 will be greater than was the case this year.

Originally posted by groundhog:
•Sometimes timing is crucial. If your stats are outstanding, then maybe you can afford to risk deferral. If great but not outstanding, then you might want to factor present economic conditions into your decision. The high tech industry is suddenly not as attractive to undergrads as it was. You can be sure that some very bright folks who were looking at high tech will now shift their sights towards health care. It is possible that competition for med school openings in 2002 and 2003 will be greater than was the case this year.•
It's much better to get into a place first, then tell the school that you will be deffering 1 year. Most schools will accept almost any reason for deffering.

Woops, I misread Reddoglovers post. I see now that his obvious intent is to not decline unless he gets a guarantee of readmittance. Forget my previous reply.

I would NOT assume that most schools do this. I am in a very tight spot right now for this very reason (see post on acceptance and reapplying in the everyone forum). I had no idea, even after previous research and an exploratory phone call, that deferment would be so difficult in my case. Call and make sure you talk to someone that knows the schools policy very well- i.e. admissions counselor or committee.

Originally posted by Student 515:
Originally posted by groundhog:
[qb]Sometimes timing is crucial. If your stats are outstanding, then maybe you can afford to risk deferral. If great but not outstanding, then you might want to factor present economic conditions into your decision. The high tech industry is suddenly not as attractive to undergrads as it was. You can be sure that some very bright folks who were looking at high tech will now shift their sights towards health care. It is possible that competition for med school openings in 2002 and 2003 will be greater than was the case this year.

It's much better to get into a place first, then tell the school that you will be deffering 1 year. Most schools will accept almost any reason for deffering.•

i deferred and it was the best thing i could have done. once you start, that's it. you're in for a very very long time. you're still young and should play for a year if you want. in the long run, delaying your education for a year won't really matter. and who cares about this money business??? it's only a year!

Originally posted by wooo:
•1 years wages as a nurse's aid vs 1 years salary as a doctor.

the scale is not balanced.•

Only speaking to the money issue, and nothing else: if you have a good job that allows you to save, I don't think there is too much lost. Especially if you can save some for retirement AND some for tuition. The little money you save for retirement right now will work for you a GREAT DEAL over the next 8-10 years that you're in medical training--it will likely be worth more than twice as much as when you start saving 10 years from now. And the money that you save for tuition will save you a good bit on interest down the road. All this may even translate to retiring a year early, so things might just balance out!

defer without a doubt. I took 3 years off, of course not by choice-3 time applicant. My fellow multi applicants have been much more motivated and mature. Get a year of life experience. Looking back it was a blessing in disguise. I worked for two years as a nurse aide in a mojor trauma center/ED. The clinical experience has been invaluable. One year of lost wages? So what!! One more year of life experience and maturity will be worth more than that!