Pros and Cons of doing Peds then subspecializing in Allergy/Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

What are the pros and cons of doing Peds then subspecializing in Allergy/immunnology?? Any other subspecialty comparable to this lifestyle?? Also what is Peds residency like?? How many hours you work a week and are on call for??? How is it compared to other residencies???

Members don't see this ad.

What are the pros and cons of doing Peds then subspecializing in Allergy/immunnology?? Any other subspecialty comparable to this lifestyle?? Also what is Peds residency like?? How many hours you work a week and are on call for??? How is it compared to other residencies???

Pros: Lifestyle!!
Cons: Boring!! (imho)
Yes!!
Challenging!!
Depends!!!
Smaller patients!!!

Bonus advice: do a search, use less question marks. Easy place to start, google "pediatric allergy/immunology fellowship" and read from there. Search on here for the residency/lifestyle questions. In terms of comparisons it's 100% personality dependent. Some people think surgery is great, some people think FM is wonderful...there is no right answer. Also, if you're pre-med as your name implies then worry about getting into med school first, none of this matters if you don't do that. Good luck.

First of all, I am an Allergist/Immunologist, and have been in practice for 2+ years. If you KNOW you eventually want to do A/I, it does not matter if you go in from Peds or IM, so just go with the one that interests you more. Fellowships for A/I are extremely competitive, so you are going to have to be a super star to get a spot. I think there are only like 80 programs in the country and most of them are small and only take 1 or 2 spots a year.

You have to cross-train on Peds and adults in an A/I fellowship. The A/I Boards are some of the hardest that you will ever find, because they are PACKED with basic immunology.

The field itself is challenging, even if you do private practice Allergy. It is not boring! I saw a post somewhere that said people don't die in the this field, well just an FYI, people do die from asthma (which we take care of), anaphylaxis from food allergy, drug allergy, etc, and there is a risk of anaphylaxis with the allergen desensitization therapy that we administer.