Pros and Cons of Family Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice 5+ year necrobump.

I can't say I really appreciate my thinking being called a cancer or narrow minded though. We can disagree without the insults.
The two things go together: the necrobump, along with taking an aggressive tone as to what they do, as if it was zero-sum.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice 5+ year necrobump.

Let me, once again, refer you to a previous post of mine that should settle this:

You appear to meet that criteria. Good for you (I really mean that).

I can't say I really appreciate my thinking being called a cancer or narrow minded though. We can disagree without the insults.
Honestly, its super rich how Wahoowa was basically saying they are going to utilize mid-levels so he can do what he wants, followed by blaming you and the way you and the system for replacing FM with midlevels.

As if our ability to practice good preventative and chronic care medicine isn't valuable enough to justify our existence. If anyone is devaluing primary care its this guy.
I plan on utilizing mid levels to their maximum potential. All those important but not so challenging annual physicals, HTN checks, paps, etc., they can have them.

Really all this capitalistic system wants is mid levels to replace primary care doctors.

Reactions: 1 user
Pros: You can get a job working only 4 days/wk

Cons: You only make 250k+/yr working 4 days/wk

Some would say that con is not really a con.
Was being sarcastic. It's not really a con. I wish I was good at outpatient medicine as an IM doc.. The FM residents where I am are getting really nice offers.

Reactions: 3 users
There are people who also crap on other residency trained, non-fellowship trained physicians of all specialties. Don’t make your decisions to appease your own insecurities or the insecurities of others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I run circles around most GIs. Last year I performed 400 colonoscopies and 400 EGDs. This narrow minded mentality holds family medicine back in hospital privileging leading to steady erosion of our scope of practice nationwide. This thinking is the cancer within family medicine. It is also the corporate rot that many in medicine now believe. Really all this capitalistic system wants is mid levels to replace primary care doctors. This is the nature of the system...so folks without special skills, watch out: Either you will be replaced or you will for less — welcome to the recipe for burnout on the front line.

That’s awesome!!! FM resident here, Is there anyway I can learn this Scope skill!!! I’ll be grateful!

I'd argue Family Doctors are even better prepared than Internists to do inpatient medicine because we can see the big picture and we understand how these patients will be managed as an outpatient. (Internal medicine residents do not get as much outpatient experience as family medicine residents do).

This has got to be one of the most misinformed opinions I've ever read. It's not only the case that you get superior training with more ICU and specialty time inpatient with IM, but you also have clinic requirements and ambulatory months

In IM, you need a good grasp of outpatient because you manage the disasters happening outpatient during inpatient, and you gotta correct better than the outpatient doctor or they'll return to your floor

IM clinic time is better focused as your time is with adults than pretending to by a gynecologist and a pediatrician 2/3 of your time

Reactions: 2 users