Pros and Cons of FHA loan for Home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theringworm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any Pros/Cons of using an FHA loan compared to other loans for purchasing a home? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I "THINK" that most FHA programs are going to require the buyer to carry mortgage insurance. And a conventional loan most buyers will pay down enough to not require mortgage insurance. I COULD BE WRONG. Just trying to help.

Another website that I find helpful is www.bankrate.com. I find it to be pretty useful and have gotten some great info from mortgages, loans, credit cards, school loans, etc....

Members don't see this ad :)
Pros:
Lower down payment (3% I think)
Easier to qualify for

Cons:
Higher down payment
PMI is required (though this will probably be required of any lender)
FHA has a higher threshold on the home inspection/appraisal
Fewer loan options (no 5/1 or 7/1 arms)

My advice is to get approved for both kinds. Then you can make a decision based on your situation. When I bought a house, the seller did not want to sell to an FHA loan, due to a defect in the house. It was no big deal to us, but it was a big deal to the FHA people. So we went with a conventional loan.

One nice thing about FHA loans and the required PMI is as follows: Any lender requires PMI until either the equity or the amount you have paid into principal = 20% of initial loan value. My wife and I had a home built using an FHA loan because it is much easier. Here's the advantage.....we recently refinanced to a 3/1 ARM and got a REFUND CHECK from HUD for 90% of the PMI we paid in for the loan -- this more than covered closing costs. As it turns out, PMI is refundable in a decrementing amount up to year 7 of an FHA loan (then it is 0% refund). :wow: