Pros and Cons of GW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. L

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, lots of thoughts. I didn't like the school very much when I visited, but that first impression is not enough for me not to want to go there because they have a TON of postives.

Pros:

-Excellent curriculum with lots of patient contact early on (from the first week!)
-hehe, gotta love the notetaking service that submits lecture notes everyday into your mailbox
-In the middle of the city
-Brand new hospital opening up (paperless)
-Very diverse patient population (and I would say classmate population as well)
-Right next to the metro
-Lots of study space in the library (well, lots of little desk cubicles)
-Really modern gym

(I forgot a lot since I was there, so please add to this if you can, and I also don't know how their match went)

Cons:

-The school seemed VERY dingy to me and I would not be excited about spending all my time there
-It is very expensive to live near campus
-Expensive tuition

Weird that I don't have a lot of cons even though I didn't get a good vibe when I was there. :confused:

Any other opinions?

The few students I met were friendly, although the tour guides were not very enthusiatic.

I agree with Doctora Foxy - I didn't get a lot of good vibes when I visited. And, it's way too expensive!! But then again, if it was my only acceptance, I'd be ecstatic to attend GW.

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone tell me more about their financial aid? it seems like they don't give out very many grants but is there more info that i should know about?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by vyc:
•can someone tell me more about their financial aid? it seems like they don't give out very many grants but is there more info that i should know about?•••••you are correct that they do not give out very many grants. i just received some financial information in the mail yesterday which painted a bleak picture. it said to assume you are not getting any grants. there is also a $3000 deposit due june which cannot be a school loan.

Pro (for the guys): DC is supposed to have a very large proportion of single women to men. :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by johnM:
•Pro (for the guys): DC is supposed to have a very large proportion of single women to men. :wink: •••••If that is true, I never noticed it while I did my undergrad there. Perhaps they only travel by morning. I only saw morning a few times, usually right before I went to bed. That could be it.

Just a note about the financial aid. In their packet it says that there is a significant gap in what the GW budgeted cost is versus the max you can get from the Federal Government in loans. They say that to fill the gap you can get private loans.