Pros and Cons of Liberal Arts vs Large Research University?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of premedical education, what are the pros and cons of liberal arts vs large research education? Not including cost (many of the liberal arts colleges actually offer superb financial aid and merit scholarships).

Members don't see this ad.

Size is probably one of the biggest factors (that could be a pro or con, depending on preferences imo).

I have a feeling a lot of people over exaggerate the lack of research opportunities at a liberal arts school, and the access of professors at a large research u. Maybe that'll change when I actually matriculate though?

Size is probably one of the biggest factors (that could be a pro or con, depending on preferences imo).

I have a feeling a lot of people over exaggerate the lack of research opportunities at a liberal arts school, and the access of professors at a large research u. Maybe that'll change when I actually matriculate though?

Class size is important to me. IMO a 1:10 in a core science class is a whole lot better than 1:50

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hate to go to school with only 2000 people. I want to meet someone new every day!

Competition can be pretty fierce at big research schools where sometimes up to half of the entering class or more comes in as "pre-med."

Competition can be pretty fierce at big research schools where sometimes up to half of the entering class or more comes in as "pre-med."

Did you go to a liberal arts college?