pros and cons of ocpm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airzinger1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of attending OCPM compared to other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Disadvantage... our incoming class seems to be pretty baller. But, I can't be for sure. Max refuses to teach me all of his facebook stalker skillz. However, it DOES seem like this class is exceptionally strong this year.

I can't tell you the compare OCPM to other schools because I never went to the other schools. However,f I can tell you my opinion of OCPM.

Pros:
1. close knit community - even though we are one of the largest podiatry school, by the end of your first month or two, you will know everybody in your class. Because everybody is soo close to each other, we help each other out with review sheets, study aids and other study resources.
2. school building - our new location is AMAZING! While the building is old, we remodeled it before moving. Everything at the school is for us. We don't share with any other medical schools or anything. For example, in anatomy, we are responsible for dissecting the whole body ourselves, not just the foot.
3. new clinic - in the last few years, our clinic is becoming really busy so we are moving to a new space this

yeah at interviews they mentioned opening a new clinic. It makes sense that a large urban area like Cleveland would be able to fill a student clinic up once word gets out.

One other pro in my book is that when you tell friends and family where you study you can say at the Kent State University Podiatry College, most people have at least heard of Kent State, its lends an air of legitimacy to the whole thing to the uninformed (obviously all podiatric schools are legitimate!).

I believe they will have to be more open about their board pass rates now that they are joining a public university.

I can't compare OCPM to other schools because I never went to the other schools. However,f I can tell you my opinion of OCPM.

Pros:
1. close knit community - even though we are one of the largest podiatry school, by the end of your first month or two, you will know everybody in your class. Because everybody is soo close to each other, we help each other out with review sheets, study aids and other study resources.
2. school building - our new location is AMAZING! While the building is old, we remodeled it before moving. Everything at the school is for us. We don't share with any other medical schools or anything. For example, in anatomy, we are responsible for dissecting the whole body ourselves, not just the foot.
3. new clinic - in the last few years, our clinic is becoming really busy so we are moving to a new space this summer so that we have more space for an orthotics lab and more exam rooms.
4. Faculty - they are friendly and always willing to help. Not only are we taught by employed OCPM staff, we have many guest speaker that come in and teach us. I have even had a DPM fly in from Atlanta to teach us one 2 hour lecture on internal fixation.
5. Student organization - we have a huge number of organizations representing various interests (surgery, diabetes, women podiatrist, sports med, etc.) that you can join. We also have some sports team (basketball, soccer, softball). And if you wanted to start a new club, you only need a few more people interested in it to start it.
6. Low cost of living

Cons:
1. from a student's prespectives, i think there are a few courses (biomechanics, surgery etc) that should have a lab associated with it that currently do not. When it comes to education, regardless of which school you go to, you are going to be taught the same information. I just went to my first externship and felt pretty well prepared.
2. not much clinic experience in your 1st and 2nd year. However, we do have an organization that holds a free clinic once a month that students can attend to gain more experience. Also, there are many many many DPMs in the area that are more than willing to let you shadow them.
3. its ohio!!! - at least thats a con according to the students from out of state but ohio is like any other state. It has its own pros and cons. If you are positive about this place, you will find things to do. If you are a nature lover, we have a lot of metro park with hiking, fishing etc. If you love amusement parks, we have Cedar point (home to some of the tallest and fastest roller coasters). If you are a food lover, we have a lot of great restaurants.

I know i didn't really give you any cons, but thats because any problems i have had at ocpm are similar to problems you would have at any school and not specific to OCPM only. I even had the same problems in undergrad. I hope this information helps you.

One other pro in my book is that when you tell friends and family where you study you can say at the Kent State University Podiatry College, most people have at least heard of Kent State, its lends an air of legitimacy to the whole thing to the uninformed (obviously all podiatric schools are legitimate!).

Isn't Kent State most known for the tragic massacre that occurred there? I'm not from the north, but that's the only thing I know about it.

Isn't Kent State most known for the tragic massacre that occurred there? I'm not from the north, but that's the only thing I know about it.

perhaps, and yet you know of it know don't you? I lived in Ohio for a number of years and yet I never knew we had a podiatry school until I became interested in podiatry... see what I'm saying?? In fact I had never heard of any of the schools save scholl, and only scholl because my gramps went there.

What good is the familiarity of your school to nonprofessionals? Do you think patients will say, "I have never heard of that place, you must be a terrible doc." I doubt it.

most likely true, however, it may bring an air of comfort through familiarity with the name... but maybe not, I like the idea, hell, down here in Cincinnati when I tell people I'm going to school at Kent State they are quite impressed even though they are far more familiar with OSU and University of Cincinnati, they name however is familiar to them even if perhaps they do not know what the hell a Golden Flash is. When I was saying OCPM, or DMU and spelling out the names, I just got blank looks an "good for you" responses. Just my anecdotal experiences so far!:)

Podiatry isn't exactly the most electrifying profession, they had to inject some kind of energy into it

Last edited:
That video may be our best shot at getting lebron back

you blew my flipping mind! epic....

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

<------- = Champ. Yeah I totally made it lol

Every 20 seconds I was expecting batman to come gliding off of one of the buildings.

All joking aside, it was a good video and your campus is surprisingly nice looking.