Pros and cons of Podiatry

Discussion in 'Podiatric Residents & Physicians' started by coolguy53, Jul 11, 2018.

1. coolguy53

Pre-Medical
    Are salaries increasing and is this profession needed in the right direction after va legislation was signed?

Also those who are Podiatrists what is the best aspect of your job that give you career satisfaction?

Have you ever been looked down upon because pod school is easier to get into than md school from your colleagues?

Do you think you get the respect you deserve being a podiatrist?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hypermobility

Podiatrist
    Have you ever used the search function?

Have you ever scrolled down to read the various threads regarding these exact same topics?

dadpod, PashaOdesit, med2345 and 3 others like this.
  4. coolguy53

Pre-Medical
    I have but I want to know more from today's pods because there is an era of doom and gloom with this profession I see heavily on this forum.

5. med2345

Pre-Medical
    Don’t base your want to go into a career off of a forum where you don’t even know if people are actual pods. Go talk to and shadow as many pods/doctors who work with pods as much as you can. My personal experiences have been completely different than most of the negative forum posts.

PashaOdesit likes this.
  6. air bud

Attending Physician
    Con : you are a podiatrist

Osminog likes this.
  7. Weirdy

Podiatry Student
    ouch

GypsyHummus likes this.
  8. PashaOdesit

PashaOdesit Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    These same topics were discussed here multiple times within the last year. You can find a lot of valuable info on this forum using a search function.

9. PashaOdesit

PashaOdesit Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    There are thousands of jobs that are easier to get than becoming a podiatrist plus you might not study for so long and get into so much debt. People are respected for what they do and where they are. You earn respect whether you are teacher, waitress, hotel housekeeper, accountant or janitor at high school. It is easy to become an LPN, though I respect them when I come to the clinic to see my doc. I respect teachers that taught me in school and I respect plumber that gets to my house to fix plumbing issues. Everyone is needed and deserves respect if they do their job honestly and with effort. Choose a path you will be happy with.

PastorDoc, Podstar and HappyPomme like this.
  10. GypsyHummus

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Post so salty, it dehydrated the entire thread.

#9 GypsyHummus, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  11. Creflo

Creflo time to eat
    Podiatrist

I don't think salaries have increased over the past couple of decades to adequately compensate the time, cost, and effort required to become a podiatrist.

The best aspect for me is the ability to be a trusted resource for patients with foot/ankle problems, and the satisfaction to apply my knowledge and training to manage the problems.

Yes, I have been looked down upon, primarily from some orthopedic surgeons. Fact is we did not go to medical school, we went to podiatry school. And we did not take the usmle or comlex. I am OK being a podiatrist, and at the same time I know that my service is very much needed even when there are orthopedic surgeons available.

I don't base my happiness upon the respect given by others, but from a financial perspective I don't think commercial health insurance companies give us the respect we deserve. But that's our own fault as a group for signing up for their plans.

#10 Creflo, Jul 15, 2018 at 5:58 AM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 6:05 AM
  12. GypsyHummus

Do you think DPMs need to have a 3 year residency, or would they be ok practicing right out of school like dentists?

13. med2345

Pre-Medical
    Why would you even want that if you were a podiatrist? Dentists are not physicians and some states do require atleast a year dental residency. How on earth would you be able to do foot and ankle reconstruction or orthopedics with no residency? Lol. I’d imagine it to be extremely tough to cut into bones and flesh with the slightest clue of how to actually do the surgery.

14. GypsyHummus

I was thinking model it like dental option. Leave surgery as an option, like how dentists have the option to become oral surgeons/physicians or do Ortho.

Do you think primary care Podiatry needs a 3 year residency? Corns calluses, nails, I frowns, lumps bumps, plantar fasciitis, etc.

15. med2345

Pre-Medical
    Primary care no, but I think the 3 year residency is still needed so there isn’t a big disparity between who can do what within podiatry. I’d rather have all podiatrist be skilled (later on salaries and respect will follow)... than people still be confused on who can do when and what. I think it’s better.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. AttackNME

AttackNME Podiatrist
    Podiatrist

Just to add more controversy and to throw this thread more off topic, I think podiatry is headed towards two paths of podiatric surgeon vs podiatrist where there will be 4 vs 1-2 year training programs, boarded by the different organizations. Less dilution of surgical cases to those that aren't interested.

18. GypsyHummus

What makes you think so?

19. DexterMorganSK

DexterMorganSK The Blood Guy

Podiatry Student

If that change happens, I am fine with it; as long as I am compensated fairly for those 4 years of training.

med2345 and PashaOdesit like this.
  20. GypsyHummus

I guess that is the point of two separate boards.

21. hypermobility

Podiatrist
    this thread should be moved to the pre-pod forum.

22. SLCpod

Staff Member Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    The questions can be answered by residents and practicing podiatrists. Pre-pod students wouldn't be able to provide accurate information about the topic.

23. NatCh

Podiatrist
    It doesn’t stop them from trying.

Creflo, Robert De Niro and heybrother like this.
  24. TimmyTurner

Podiatry Student
    Apply cool water directly to burn to reduce pain and swelling.

25. TimmyTurner

Podiatry Student
    This is a model that I could see being a natural evolution that will exist long before the AACPM or COTH makes any curricular changes . DPMs tend to, generally, niche out towards the poles. At one end of the spectrum, heavy rearfoot, TAR's, external fixation, charcot, etc- and on the opposite end ( i hesitate to use 'lower end', as these cases aren't any less valuable in terms of ensuring positive outcomes and often more lucrative)- your bread and butter corns, callus, chip &clips, orthotics, the odd nail avulsion here and there, and then a full or half day in surgery doing bunions and hammertoes 1x/week.

As a profession, I think we're standing at an evolutionary fork in the road, with many clammering for relentless pursuit of the ever elusive 'parity' pathway (which will never be fully achieved IMO solely due to the fact the definition/metrics to determine parity vary widely depending on who you ask) , or this sort of, hyperniche route as described above. I think there is merit to both cases, but ultimately the latter is the path of least resistance and thus our most likely future as I see it. Definitely not a bad thing- I know plenty of filthy-comfortable dentists. It also provides a natural solution to some of the persistent, pressing issues (ABPM vs ABFAS board certs, non RRA residency slots...)