Pros and Cons of Rutgers dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manifesto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very little info regarding Rutgers. Anyone want to contribute?

Members don't see this ad.

Look up posts about UMDNJ instead. It's the same school, they just changed names recently.

I am currently doing predent at Rutgers. like ayados16 said, look up UMDNJ since they are the same thing. It's a great school and I believe that the grades there are pass/fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other information on Rutgers/UMDNJ that is critical to applicants who are applying there? I applied but I can hardly find a reason to choose Rutgers/UMDNJ over other schools that I applied.

Any other information on Rutgers/UMDNJ that is critical to applicants who are applying there? I applied but I can hardly find a reason to choose Rutgers/UMDNJ over other schools that I applied.
It's in Newark, which has a very high crime rate and is one of the most dangerous cities in the US. Gotta be careful around some parts.

Reactions: 2 users
Newark isn't a great place but they have a lot of people who need innexpensive dental work. Facilities were all top notch. Faculty seemed very nice and motivated when I visited. They have a good mix of full and part-time instructors, which I have heard it is good to have current private practice dentists also instructing.

pros: pretty good clinically, small class size

cons: half of the clinics are great--half of them suck, mandatory dress code; the area is terrible--lots of crime+nothing to do

Pros... None
Cons... Lots

If you're not going to say more than that, don't bother posting.

Anywho, the interview was great. Seems like a very clinic orientated school. Just look up their academic program on google. They start clinic summer of 2nd year lol.

pros: pretty good clinically, small class size

cons: half of the clinics are great--half of them suck, mandatory dress code; the area is terrible--lots of crime+nothing to do

I thought it was the pre-clinic that was divided?

If you're not going to say more than that, don't bother posting.

Anywho, the interview was great. Seems like a very clinic orientated school. Just look up their academic program on google. They start clinic summer of 2nd year lol.

I thought it was the pre-clinic that was divided?

i could be wrong, but then again my interview was like 2 years ago.

bottom line: if you're in state, try to go there.

I'm currently doing a masters here at Rutgers GSBS and we take some courses along with the dental students. I don't know too much about the dental curriculum, but the area is pretty ghetto and there really isn't much to do. The facility is nice I guess...

Ehh idk about the price. It's not that cheap. About 280K. Most state dental schools have tuitions around 220-240 K . I personally would go to a public out of state dental school over Rutgers any day of the week if I were a NJ resident but I'm not so wooo. With the option that several states let you switch into in-state residency after the first year, I still think it either breaks even with Rutgers if you were already a NJ resident or is probably still a bit cheaper.

This will add up to roughly the same for OOS state that allows the switch to in-state residency. Best example: UCONN. I don't know what other schools you had in mind that make it difficult but there are a good amount that let you do in-state. Just cause it's easier said than done doesn't mean it's impossible or that people don't do it. Just depends on how badly you want it.