Pros and cons of two-year postdoc fellowships in clinical child/pediatric psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niceman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been researching postdoc positions and found that some AMCs offer two-year postdoc fellowships in clinical child/pediatric psych. I know that a two-year postdoc isn't necessary in those specialties, but I was wondering if the pros outweigh the cons compared to a one-year postdoc besides losing one year of real income. My current goal is to work as a research/teaching faculty while doing private practice, but after reading some posts here it seems some AMCs may offer research/teaching/clinical opportunities in different proportions that may also align with my goal. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll certainly defer to others with more experience in the area, but my understanding is that two-year fellowships are fairly common (and can be advantageous) for folks with research/academic aspirations, as it allows for a greater ability to actually finish scholarly projects and apply for training and early-career grants. Downside, as you've mentioned, is the loss of one year of "real world" experience and income.

If the research/publication opportunities are good enough, that extra year may offset that year of income discrepancy between postdoc and faculty position somewhere. Good academic jobs are becoming more scarce, and opportunities to buff up that CV in postdoc could be key depending on what's available. We've got a few AMC people here who may be able to shine some more light on this.

Thank you for your replies! I will definitely ask more questions about research and publication opportunities. I do feel that grant writing is something missing in my training (which the department acknowledged) and it would be nice to get trained/mentored for during postdoc.