• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Pros and cons of two-year postdoc fellowships in clinical child/pediatric psych

niceman

5+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Massachusetts
  1. Psychology Student
I've been researching postdoc positions and found that some AMCs offer two-year postdoc fellowships in clinical child/pediatric psych. I know that a two-year postdoc isn't necessary in those specialties, but I was wondering if the pros outweigh the cons compared to a one-year postdoc besides losing one year of real income. My current goal is to work as a research/teaching faculty while doing private practice, but after reading some posts here it seems some AMCs may offer research/teaching/clinical opportunities in different proportions that may also align with my goal. Thank you!

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
  1. Psychologist
I'll certainly defer to others with more experience in the area, but my understanding is that two-year fellowships are fairly common (and can be advantageous) for folks with research/academic aspirations, as it allows for a greater ability to actually finish scholarly projects and apply for training and early-career grants. Downside, as you've mentioned, is the loss of one year of "real world" experience and income.

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
  1. Psychologist
If the research/publication opportunities are good enough, that extra year may offset that year of income discrepancy between postdoc and faculty position somewhere. Good academic jobs are becoming more scarce, and opportunities to buff up that CV in postdoc could be key depending on what's available. We've got a few AMC people here who may be able to shine some more light on this.

niceman

5+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Massachusetts
  1. Psychology Student
Thank you for your replies! I will definitely ask more questions about research and publication opportunities. I do feel that grant writing is something missing in my training (which the department acknowledged) and it would be nice to get trained/mentored for during postdoc.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.