Aug 19, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi everyone, as the time comes when we all start having to decide between schools...

I was just wondering what the pros and cons of UF CoP? I'm currently a senior at UF but I'd like outside opinions from people who maybe thought about going here but decided against here and why, or current pharmacy students that have absolutely loved the experience.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Hi everyone, as the time comes when we all start having to decide between schools...

I was just wondering what the pros and cons of UF CoP? I'm currently a senior at UF but I'd like outside opinions from people who maybe thought about going here but decided against here and why, or current pharmacy students that have absolutely loved the experience.
Pros:

Cheap tuition

Top ten school, top instructors, been around forever, countless opportunities academically and professionally, so many pharmacists in FL are UF grads, watching lectures at double speed, etc.

Cons:

???

OP
E
Aug 19, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Status
Pharmacy Student
Did you do undergrad at UF? Did you look at any other schools (I'm assuming you go there now)? I know a lot of FL pharmacists graduated from UF, but if my goal is to eventually get out of Florida, is UF still a good place to be?

Oct 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I too was wondering the same things, specifically about the satellite schools in Orlando, St. Pete, and Jax and was hoping some students could give their input. Is the quality of education there the same as the Gainesville campus? Or do you feel like it would have been better to be at the main campus lectures? Are there any other major differences that are worth considering when thinking about going to the satellite campuses?

Also, does being a UF alumnus help as far as admission to the pharmacy school?

OP
E
Aug 19, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Status
Pharmacy Student
I know that for UF Med, they are notorious for keeping their own. I'm sure pharmacy is like that too. I know that most of my friends that have applied have gotten in (from previous years).

As for the distance learning, they are all online lecture and you go to campus for required group work/projects.

I just want to know if UF is as high quality with education/opportunities/etc. as the rankings show since it is very large and Florida is so saturated with pharmacy students.

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Did you do undergrad at UF? Did you look at any other schools (I'm assuming you go there now)? I know a lot of FL pharmacists graduated from UF, but if my goal is to eventually get out of Florida, is UF still a good place to be?
I did not do undergrad at UF and I looked at every pharmacy school in FL. I really did not care for NOVA at all after my interview/tour. I thought PBA was really nice, obviously you would need to check that out yourself.

I cannot say if UF means anything out of state.

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
I too was wondering the same things, specifically about the satellite schools in Orlando, St. Pete, and Jax and was hoping some students could give their input. Is the quality of education there the same as the Gainesville campus? Or do you feel like it would have been better to be at the main campus lectures? Are there any other major differences that are worth considering when thinking about going to the satellite campuses?

Also, does being a UF alumnus help as far as admission to the pharmacy school?
I don't feel cheated at a distance site at all. It is the exact same education. I honestly feel like the opportunities in Orlando are better than the opportunities in Gainesville. Look at the difference in population size vs. number of pharmacy students. Not to mention I think I probably am closer with my smaller class than I possibly could be with the same class in Gainesville.