delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL I haven't seen any Cornell students on SDN yet!

i remember coming across a pretty old thread trashing cornell ...problem is though that the two posters don't mention that they are talking about cornell until a couple of pages into the thread. i'm sure u can find the thread if you do a thorough enough search.

Members don't see this ad.

School: University of South Dakota - Sanford SOM

Cost: $40,000 (In-State) & $60,000 (Out-State)

Faculty: The faculty is great, really know their stuff. They have a vested interest in your learning. Mostly PhD.

Reputation: Bad among pre-meds - Great among residencies. Last year's class matched 3 derm (out of 50), 2 Urol, 2 Radi (Diag), 1 ENT, and 3 Anes. So 11/50 matched into very competitive specialties.

Clinical Rotations: Faculty brags these up a bunch. Interns from our school have talked to our faculty about being allowed to do more as medical students then they are allowed to do in other places as residents. Lots of great clinical experience is one of the things that makes this school a hidden gem.

Housing: Ok and cheap. I have to admit though, if you can't handle small town living, you better pass on this one.

Study areas: Very good. 24 hour access to a brand new building. Lots of empty conference rooms that we are allowed to use.

Social Scene: Not great. Small college town, mostly undergrad students. Usually, the medical students just get together at someone's house and parties. Due to the small-ness of the town, there isn't a lot of bar choices, and no clubs.

Local Hospitals: Aren't really local. Must travel to Rapid City, Sioux Falls, or Yankton for clinical experience.

Board Prep: The school does a good job of teaching to the test. 4 weeks prep time in between the end of second year classes and clinicals.

Specialty: Excellent clinical rotations.

Grades: ABCDF scale for the first two years.

Other Comments: I think the school is great, but if you aren't from SD or don't like living in small towns this isn't for you.

Overall Grade: B+

i remember coming across a pretty old thread trashing cornell ...problem is though that the two posters don't mention that they are talking about cornell until a couple of pages into the thread. i'm sure u can find the thread if you do a thorough enough search.
I think I remember that thread! It might have been in the allopathic forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! I actually did read this thread awhile ago but I never realized they were discussing my beloved Cornell. Oh well I guess I might as well prepare myself for PBL now :D

it's kind of funny that they complained about the few hours spent in PBL and preceptorship when students at lecture-based schools spend about twice that much time in class each week. my overall impression from the schools at which i've interviewed is that cornell students have far and away the most study/free time (and are all the happier for it).

the whole step I prep thing is a little nerve-racking though.

it's kind of funny that they complained about the few hours spent in PBL and preceptorship when students at lecture-based schools spend about twice that much time in class each week. my overall impression from the schools at which i've interviewed is that cornell students have far and away the most study/free time (and are all the happier for it).

Care to elaborate? Is it in the thread and I just missed it?

It's earlier in the thread:

"My school is also one that 'does not teach to the Boards.' No, really, it doesn't; in fact, many of us are pretty unprepared for step 1 when we have to start studying for it. Many of us learn pharmacology and microbiology for the FIRST TIME when we study for step 1. My school is ranked highly, but that is just sad. Instead of all those pointless lectures with famous scientists talking about their oh-so-interesting research on the configuration of Protein 235JK9820, maybe we could have had a few more lessons on pharm, or on the genetic enzyme-deficiency disorders that most of us hadn't heard of until we read First Aid for Step 1. In the end I did fine on step 1, but I still feel like there was a ton of important information in the exam that I had not been taught in my first two years."

It's earlier in the thread:

"My school is also one that 'does not teach to the Boards.' No, really, it doesn't; in fact, many of us are pretty unprepared for step 1 when we have to start studying for it. Many of us learn pharmacology and microbiology for the FIRST TIME when we study for step 1. My school is ranked highly, but that is just sad. Instead of all those pointless lectures with famous scientists talking about their oh-so-interesting research on the configuration of Protein 235JK9820, maybe we could have had a few more lessons on pharm, or on the genetic enzyme-deficiency disorders that most of us hadn't heard of until we read First Aid for Step 1. In the end I did fine on step 1, but I still feel like there was a ton of important information in the exam that I had not been taught in my first two years."
Oh, I didn't realize that was about Cornell too. I guess most of this thread became about Cornell.

Oh, I didn't realize that was about Cornell too. I guess most of this thread became about Cornell.
yea I saw that too :( I think most schools don't teach to the step exams tho, but I'm a bit worried about not having pharm. The MCAT wasn't one of my strengths so I need to make sure I rock my step exams to the best of my ability.

yea I saw that too :( I think most schools don't teach to the step exams tho, but I'm a bit worried about not having pharm. The MCAT wasn't one of my strengths so I need to make sure I rock my step exams to the best of my ability.
Yeah, it seems like a lot of the top schools seem to think they're "above" that. Well, on the upside I think I read somewhere on here that Cornell students have 10 weeks to study? Or maybe that was Vanderbilt. I think the number of weeks you get to study seems like a big deal, almost like the determining factor.

Members don't see this ad :)

All of the schools i've visited (basically the SUNYs) said they teach to the STEP exams. Your goal for being in med school is to do well in those and get a good score which leads to a good residency placement so i don't understand the logic of not teaching to the exam.

All of the schools i've visited (basically the SUNYs) said they teach to the STEP exams. Your goal for being in med school is to do well in those and get a good score which leads to a good residency placement so i don't understand the logic of not teaching to the exam.
A huge goal of the schools is research. If you're as interested in research as you say you are to get in ;) then you should be thrilled to have world class researchers tell you all the minutiae of how they determined the structure of an enzyme instrumental in a crucial step in tyrosine kinase signalling.

Except that PBL is mandatory attendance and lectures aren't.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the top schools seem to think they're "above" that. Well, on the upside I think I read somewhere on here that Cornell students have 10 weeks to study? Or maybe that was Vanderbilt. I think the number of weeks you get to study seems like a big deal, almost like the determining factor.
There must be a point where extra studying doesn't do much due to the fact that you start forgetting what you studied in the beginning.

There must be a point where extra studying doesn't do much due to the fact that you start forgetting what you studied in the beginning.
Yeah, but when the range is 2.5 months to 3 weeks...I don't think you get to that point in that kind of range.

Yeah, but when the range is 2.5 months to 3 weeks...I don't think you get to that point in that kind of range.
I agree 3 weeks is short, but 2.5 months? I guess I must have a terrible memory because I start forgetting stuff I learned like 2 weeks ago. In a class (e.g. 15 weeks long) with comprehensive tests, I review for the test in ~ 1 week.

Studying for the USMLE is like a review- you're going over what you already learned in class. I studied around ~2 weeks for the MCAT. Granted, I probably should have spent another couple of weeks on that, but that's only because I had taken physics and general chemistry like 5 years earlier. (And arguably the MCAT has a larger testable domain).

I agree 3 weeks is short, but 2.5 months? I guess I must have a terrible memory because I start forgetting stuff I learned like 2 weeks ago. In a class (e.g. 15 weeks long) with comprehensive tests, I review for the test in ~ 1 week.

Studying for the USMLE is like a review- you're going over what you already learned in class.
First Aid (a huge resource for step 1) says 5-7 weeks is what you should study. Third and fourth years I've spoken to say you'll forget anything you tried to memorize 3 or more months before the boards.

Our school gives us 10 weeks. I'm using 7 and a 3 week vacation!

School: Duke University

Cost: $37,000ish I think

Faculty: Awesome faculty. Certain blocks first year are taught better than others, but for the most part they were well-taught. Clinical faculty is outstanding. The advisory deans are also great sources of information, support, etc.

Clinical Rotations: To me, the best part of my school. The clerkship directors not only care what feedback you have but they actually use it (imagine that!). I was on surgery first. Based on the feedback we gave, the rotation had changed by the 3rd group. The students who had Family Medicine first said there were too many assignments. By the 2nd group, the clerkship director had eliminated one assignment. Pediatrics was a rotation where students had to wait until after noon conference to eat (if there was any food left) since residents got first crack. They told the peds chairman that they would prefer to have food for them as well (like on the Medicine rotation), and by the time I took peds the department had budgeted more money specifically so we could also eat. And the list goes on.

Housing: Cheap, especially compared to big cities. The fanciest apartments closest to campus are $1000 for a 1 bedroom. Most apartments are in the $700 range for a 2 BR. Many students buy homes.

Study areas: Difficult for me to comment on since I usually study at home. I'm guessing it's fine.

Social Scene: Pretty good. Lots of local bars and really good restaurants. Good shopping. Chapel Hill is better for the nightlife and is 15 minutes away, Raleigh has great clubs/bars and is 30 mins away.

Local Hospitals: Duke University Hospital has patients from all over the world come to be treated. There are some crazy things that are treated here and only here (e.g. one of my peds attendings was on Dateline because she's the only person in the country that does thymus transplants for DiGeorge Syndrome. I had a few of these patients). It's also a level 1 trauma center. Some rotations are done at Durham Community Hospital and the Durham VA hospital.

Board Prep: Lies squarely on the student. You take step 1 whenever you want during 3rd year. I studied a few hours everyday for a few months and took 3.5 weeks off my research to focus on studying before the test.

Specialty: 3rd year is awesome. The research and clinical experiences are very strong.

Grades: Mostly H/P/F first year. H/HP/P/F second year.

Other Comments: Wherever you go to school, try your best to get a good mentor that could help you when it's time to apply for residency (LOR, phone calls, etc.). With the full year of research, the mentorship potential at Duke is incredible.

Overall Grade: A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
most of the schools I've visited don't teach to the test. Just like any other standardized exam, it's hard to teach to a test if you don't know exactly what will be on it. Yes, you know the general topics covered but you can never truly teach to the test. I've found if your focus is solely on the test then you don't really focus on comprehending the material and making the connections that will make it easier for you to do well later on the exam... but maybe that's just me :D

None of the students of these schools seem to be having problems with the STEP exams so either they teach themselves very well or what they are learning is preparing them okay.

Bump just because I wanted to say.. I and many others would really appreciate more responses to this thread! MAD props to those who have already contributed.

Rosalind Franklin University:
Pros:
-student's get along with each other. For the most part, everyone is chill, helpful, and have none of the cut throat drama issues that I hear about from other schools.
-1st and 2nd year education is great, great step1 scores.
-Highly competitive match list (check it out)
-3rd and 4th year in the city. The most flexible 4th year schedule of any med school I've hear of (18 wks for away rotations, 14 weeks off for interviews or step 2 prep etc, online courses for when you are on the interview trail)

Cons:
- No 1 affiliated hospital.
- a little on the expensive side, even for private/out of state.
- administration seems to take a paternalistic "we know whats best for you" approach and ignores student feedback/complaints (although I am sure this happens elsewhere too)

School: VCU School of Medicine, aka Medical College of Virginia

Curriculum: Standard curriculum, non-systems based. It is very well run and we have an excellent curriculum office who are on top of everything. The tests have all been very fair and very standardized. Our professors rarely go off the range on their esoteric research stuff and we have a surprisingly large number of M.D. lecturers to keep things interesting. Best part of first year is that the school hooks you up with a preceptor that you work with every couple weeks. It allows you to practice H&P stuff you learn in our clinical skills course out in the real world.

Cost: Instate: $27k Out-of-state: $42k (me :() Forget about financial aid unless you're instate.

Faculty: We have Dr. Costanzo on staff. You will learn soon enough who she is. She is extremely helpful and her influence is palpable with the rest of the faculty. They are very helpful with board preparation during first and second year.

Reputation: I don't know, I'm from California! Definitely known on the east coast.

Clinical Rotations: Don't know yet, but our hospital is busy as hell. We get all the good traumas in Virginia. (Take that, UVa)

Housing: I pay $900/mo. for a 2 bedroom apartment. That's about average I think. Most people pay $400-500/month for their own room.

Study areas: There is a science library here which is usually packed with dental and pharm students. The med students have their own computer lab and study area, so it evens out. Plenty of room.

Social Scene: Tons of social events, both within the med school and among the other health professional schools. After every exam (every couple weeks or so) we have what are known as "liver rounds" where everyone goes to a bar and gets free drinks and food. Pretty sweet.

Local Hospitals: VCU Hospital is central Virginia's go-to hospital for everything. Helicopters fly people in every day.

Board Prep: We get one-on-one advising for step 1. I have heard nothing but awesome things from the M2s.

Grades: Everything is H/HP/P/M/F. Nothing is curved and it is based entirely on your own performance. To pass you need to get a 68% in the course, to get an H you need a 92%. All tests are multiple choice except for anatomy practicals thus far. Oh and the clinical skills exams with standardized patients.

Grades
Curriculum:A
Cost: B
Financial Aid: N/A
Faculty: A
Technology:A-
Study Space/Library:A
Library technology/Resources:A
Rotations:N/A
Social:A
Hospitals:A
Post Grad:N/A

Overall Grade:
A/A-

I am very happy here!

*bump*

decision time is approaching...any more to add?

this thread is great :thumbup:

Also I don't know if anyone read the "the official i hate my medical school" thread but it is :scared: 20 minutes ago I looked forward to medical school...no more!

This thread had pretty good potential before it was moved. I actually think a better strategy would have been to put the link in Pre-Allo but to leave the thread in Allo. It does provide some good insights nonetheless.

School: Brody SOM @ East Carolina University

Preclinical Curriculum: Subject based, heavy on the small groups. 4-6 week blocks and then exams. Some classes require shelf.

Cost: Not sure the exact figure, but well known to be the cheapest in the country.

Faculty: A bell curve. Some suck, most are pretty decent, and some absolutely amazing.

Reputation: Likes to say it focuses on primary care, but my classmates all matched where the wanted to go if that is an indication. 50% Primary care/ 50% other including ENT, orth and uro.

Clinical Rotations: standard 8 week blocks, nothing special here.

Housing: Really cheap, but nice. Buy or rent, anyone can afford it.

Social Scene: Its a college town, but an hour away from the beach and Raleigh, a great city if you just want to get away for a while.

Local Hospitals: Only hospital in the county, serves a 29 county radius. Tons of pathology.

Board Prep: Sticks pretty much to there subject curriculum, no specific step 1 prep. Gotta do that solo if you don't feel prepared.

Grades: Honors/A/B/C/Fail

Overall Grade: B+, it is a small scholl that does I believe does great with what it has. Everyone in this years match ended up with the specialty they wanted.

Reactions: 1 user
Since this thread popped back up, I'll put in a plug for our school database.

We're gathering data on schools using standardized forms for comparison now.

Medical students, feel free to submit feedback on your school here:
http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/

more info here:
http://www.studentdoctor.net/about-the-sdn-schools-database/

I was really psyched when i found out they were formally offering this sort of med school review on sdn but I was disappointed with the response it got by med students. why have so few people responded? :(

Can someone do Tufts?

I was really psyched when i found out they were formally offering this sort of med school review on sdn but I was disappointed with the response it got by med students. why have so few people responded? :(

it's a new system... we've only had it up and running for ~1 month

Any Tufts, NYU, or University of Maryland students willing to share info?

This thread is great. Cincinnati or MCW, anyone? :)

Hopefully it'll pick up.

Good assessment. Since, I'm a 4th year I'll add some stuff on the clinicals (red)

School: VCU School of Medicine, aka Medical College of Virginia

Curriculum: Standard curriculum, non-systems based. It is very well run and we have an excellent curriculum office who are on top of everything. The tests have all been very fair and very standardized. Our professors rarely go off the range on their esoteric research stuff and we have a surprisingly large number of M.D. lecturers to keep things interesting. Best part of first year is that the school hooks you up with a preceptor that you work with every couple weeks. It allows you to practice H&P stuff you learn in our clinical skills course out in the real world.

Cost: Instate: $27k Out-of-state: $42k (me :() Forget about financial aid unless you're instate.

Faculty: We have Dr. Costanzo on staff. You will learn soon enough who she is. She is extremely helpful and her influence is palpable with the rest of the faculty. They are very helpful with board preparation during first and second year.The faculty on the wards are great- very approachable and more interested in teaching than getting back to the lab or getting their work done.

Reputation: I don't know, I'm from California! Definitely known on the east coast.Known well and respected by those around us on the east coast. However, when I interviewed at some north east programs they were less familiar with the school

Clinical Rotations: Rotations are generally excellent. The faculty and especially administration are very receptive to changes in clinics you go to and teams you round with so you rarely find a non-productive part of your rotation. The rotations are very hands on so you will get as much clinical experience as you want. If you want to do everything, they will let you. If you want to sit back and do less, you can do that too. If you ask, you can do tons of procedures too. For instance, I have done EJs, Para and thoracenteses, LPs, delivered multiple babies, opened and closed on surgical cases, done more foleys than I care to remember, done arterial sticks and ABGs, helped put in central lines and even used a Da Vinci Surgical robot (sweet). We take care of almost all the indigent patients of Richmond and more than half of the indigent patients in the entire state. The only mediocre rotation was neurology (4 weeks) because the residents were pretty poor quality yet the attendings were really good which averaged it out. Otherwise the residents are very good in every other rotation.

Housing: I pay $900/mo. for a 2 bedroom apartment. That's about average I think. Most people pay $400-500/month for their own room. I pay 1000 for a 2 bedroom. Ranges from 500-1000 for 1 bedroom, 700-1500 for 2 bedroom

Study areas: There is a science library here which is usually packed with dental and pharm students. The med students have their own computer lab and study area, so it evens out. Plenty of room.

Social Scene: Tons of social events, both within the med school and among the other health professional schools. After every exam (every couple weeks or so) we have what are known as "liver rounds" where everyone goes to a bar and gets free drinks and food. Pretty sweet.

Local Hospitals: VCU Hospital is central Virginia's go-to hospital for everything. Helicopters fly people in every day.

Board Prep: We get one-on-one advising for step 1. I have heard nothing but awesome things from the M2s. I thought the board prep was awesome. A lot of it you do on your own, but they tell you what and how to do it. It took the guess work completely out of it, and it showed. Despite a below average MCAT, we post above average boards with 41% getting above a 230 and 10% in the 250s and 260s

Grades: Everything is H/HP/P/M/F. Nothing is curved and it is based entirely on your own performance. To pass you need to get a 68% in the course, to get an H you need a 92%. All tests are multiple choice except for anatomy practicals thus far. Oh and the clinical skills exams with standardized patients.

Grades
Curriculum:A A
Cost: B B
Financial Aid: N/A
Faculty: A A-
Technology:A- A- fully electronic records, all radiology online, home access for all of that stuff
Study Space/Library:A A-/B+
Library technology/Resources:A B+
Rotations:N/A A-
Social:A A
Hospitals:A A
Post Grad:N/A A-/B+

Overall Grade:
A- A-/B+

I am very happy here! Second this

See red.

This thread should be helpful. For some reason it's in the allopathic forum.

Mods: Shouldn't it be moved to pre-allo? It's most useful to them...

Bump.. would love to see Einstein, Jeff, Temple

I'm a 2nd year med student, any comments about the clinical years are not based on 1st hand experience.

Jefferson Medical College

Curriculum:
We have a block system.

- M1 consists of Anatomy, then Biochem, then Systems/Physiology, and Systems/Neurology.

- M2 starts with a short Introduction to Path/Pharm, then Immunity/Infection (drugs and bugs), then "Foundation of Clinical Medicine", which is basically just the organ systems (Physio, Pharm, Path system by system) for the bulk of the year. FCM is basically prepping for the boards

- Additionally, there's Introduction to Clinical Medicine that runs throughout 1st and 2nd year. 1st years learn history taking on standardized patients, medical ethics, and behavioral science. 2nd years learn the physical exam and evidence based medicine

Cost: ~$44-45k/yr for tuition, tack on about $15k/yr for all the other stuff. From what I know, the financial aid is almost exclusively need-based.

Faculty: The course directors are all great and willing to receive input from students. The professors are also very good about getting back to students about questions and concerns. Each class has course liaisons who act as a go between for the professors and students so that more concerns can be addressed quickly. Every month, all the course liaisons meet up with all the course directors and the dean in charge of curriculum to discuss any issues, or ways to make things better. For the most part, the course directors are very receptive to suggestions.

Reputation: Pretty solid school, tons of alumni due to a big class and being around for a really long time. Not specifically known for research, but there are great opportunities to do clinical research. Well known for its student-run clinics throughout the city (JeffHOPE, runs 5 clinics/week)

Clinical Rotations: Very little first-hand experience here. Most affiliated hospitals are within Philly, some are in Delaware, a couple are in South NJ, and a couple are scattered throughout PA (Latrobe, York, Reading). If it's far away, they'll put you up during the week.

Housing: A lot of on-campus housing...it's guaranteed for 1st year students. We have 3 buildings, 2 of which are apartment-style living, and one of which is dorm style. The apartment-style buildings are 20 and 10 stories respectively and have 1, 2, and 3-bedroom apartments. A good chunk of the class lives on-campus, but there are plenty of people who live "off-campus", which is really within 3-5 blocks of campus. There is plenty of housing around the area. On-campus housing has RA’s who run Residence Life events, such as trips to local attractions at a solidly discounted price.

- Because Jefferson is in Center City, everything essential is within a 5 block radius ranging from supermarkets (SuperFresh and Whole Foods), farmers markets (Reading Terminal Market) and Chinatown, to a mall that includes Kmart, Radio Shack, Burlington Coat Factory and more.

Study areas: The library is kinda old, but certain floors are open 24/7. The other major area is the Hamilton building, where you can reserve rooms to study in (they're basically conference rooms with a whiteboard and blackboard in them). There are also tables and comfortable chairs scattered throughout Hamilton.

Social Scene:
- There are a ton of bars around Jefferson, the most popular one on Thursday nights is Marathon, which is pretty much on campus. They have $1 drinks for Jefferson students from 10-11PM then 12-1AM. There's always a post-exam party organized by the student council at one of the many local bars.
- Intramurals are pretty big at Jefferson…there’s also an annual Powderpuff tournament between the med school years.
-Many people are involved with extracurriculars at Jefferson (there are over 100 organizations), the biggest organization is JeffHOPE, which requires about 45 2nd year students and 8 4th year students to keep everything afloat.
- If you’re into history, we’re about 4 blocks away from Independence Hall, Liberty Bell etc
- If you’re interested in the Arts, we’re in the theater district (and sometimes get free tickets to see orchestra concerts, and shows), and a bus right or long walk from the Art Museum.
- If you want to go up to NY, Boston, or down to DC, you can take a bus from Chinatown, or take the subway to 30th street station to catch Megabus/Boltbus or take Amtrak. All are very easy to access from Jefferson and are pretty cheap (except Amtrak).

Local Hospitals:
A good mix of urban and suburban. In the city of Philadelphia, Jefferson Hospital is in Center City, while Methodist takes care of South Philly (lower socioeconomic area), and Einstein takes care of parts of North Philly. All the other local hospitals are in the suburbs of Philadelphia, so have a slightly different patient population

Board Prep: My personal opinion is that a lot of this depends on the student. But traditionally, students do well on the USMLE. The second year curriculum does a good job preparing students for the USMLE. We have 6.5 weeks from the end of 2nd year to the start of 3rd year to take the exam.

Specialty: Pretty much every specialty is represented in our match list. There’s a good mix of everything from primary care to plastics/rad-onc/anesthesiology.

Grades: During the 1st and 2nd year, we’re graded on an Honors/Pass/Fail system, while in the clinical years, it’s a combo of the clinical grade (5 divisions I think) and shelf exam score. Jefferson maintains a very collegiate and supportive environment. People post up their study guides and clutch study materials from previous years onto the discussion board for each block. A good majority of the class is in some type of study group.

Overall Grade:
A. I’m very happy to be here. Overall, Jefferson has a collaborative and friendly environment, which has helped tremendously. Even with a class of ~260, professors remember you and even the people in charge of admissions still remember you. Only real con is that the gym is on the small side (it gets really crowded around 5 PM), but that’s being nitpicky.