Status
Not open for further replies.

FuturePharm21

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
So I didn't see a recent thread on this and was wondering on how reputable becoming an MD in Europe is because I know many people that are doing that, is that better than becoming a DO? Because I know the bias between MD and DO exists but from talking to pre-meds and only a few doctors they said it's decreasing and more prevalent in older docs.

Also what are the PROS and CONS to becoming a MD vs. DO because from everyone I talk to it seem like MD is the only way to go and if you become a DO then you didn't get into MD. (I have talked to very few that really chose to become a DO due to the philosophy/OMT/personal reasons)

Just wondering...what y'all think?

DocInProgress

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
A little bit of me dies every time I see your threads.

Look man, if you're insecured about becoming a DO, go for the MD. If you're interested in practicing medicine internationally (outside of America), go for the MD. If you're looking for a really competitive specialty program such as Harvard's dermatology or Cleveland Clinic's cardiothoracic surgery, go for the MD (not saying DO's can't match into these but it would be easier as an MD). Otherwise, DO=MD in terms of opportunities for the future.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again.

singinfifi

Professional Insomniac
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2007
usa
Status
Attending Physician

spazzz

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
whatever DO school you go to, please let it NOT BE MINE

J1515

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
Status

DocJulez

Awesome Canadian
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2008
Status
Non-Student
ok guys,
i know this kid can get a little............annoying (no offense OP). but lets play nice.

as much as i'd love to, all the advice in the world will prolly not change ur mind. you believe what you believe. and what WE as PRE-MEDS believe means almost nothing in the grand scheme of the entire world. i know, it sucks. but everyone has different opinions. what do YOU THINK? seriously, look into your own heart, and think about it. and in like, 4 or 5 years when ur getting into med school (presuming you still decide to apply) alllllllllllllllllll this speculation could be Bull S**T since things can change alot in that time.

just chill out a little. no need to be so high strung on these factors. just live life and ENJOY it, things will work out. karma baby

GreenShirt

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Ugh! I can't believe I just spent 15min responding to another one of the OPs threads.....I get it now :rolleyes:.

rockdascrubs786

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Go MD if you being a DO makes you feel sick. Check out the 6 yr programs in the carribean or those in Europe. its a hassle, but at least you'll have your precious MD. lol

endocardium

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Post Doc
So I didn't see a recent thread on this and was wondering on how reputable becoming an MD in Europe is because I know many people that are doing that, is that better than becoming a DO? Because I know the bias between MD and DO exists but from talking to pre-meds and only a few doctors they said it's decreasing and more prevalent in older docs.

Also what are the PROS and CONS to becoming a MD vs. DO because from everyone I talk to it seem like MD is the only way to go and if you become a DO then you didn't get into MD. (I have talked to very few that really chose to become a DO due to the philosophy/OMT/personal reasons)

Just wondering...what y'all think?
I think you should read the FAQ's at the top of the forum page. There is a long history of debate about this...

It's pretty much a tired topic. Do a search and you'll be so swamped with old threads that relate to your questions that there's no way you can read them in one sitting.

bluemonkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Are you looking into DO/MD or are you going into Pharm? Your username suggests the latter...

prionsRbad

Mooooo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you looking into DO/MD or are you going into Pharm? Your username suggests the latter...
Allegedly he shares the account with his "brother", who is going to pharmacy school. Interesting though, because if you look at all of his posts they are consistent with wanting to go to med school (and with an anti-DO flare of course).:rolleyes:

theserbatron

put mo' chamomile on it
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2007
Lone Star
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Future residency interviewer: "So I see you went to medical school in Poland? How did you end up choosing that path?"

OP: "Well... my great- great- great- great- great- grandfather was 1/8th Polish, so I figured I'd get 'back to my roots'. Going to medical school while discovering my family history was great."

Future residency interviewer: "Yeah, good thing you didn't go DO - otherwise you'd definitely wouldn't be here. I guess the six years of eating kielbasas and pierogies really pays off. Too bad those DO saps didn't like Eastern European food as much as you, otherwise they'd actually have careers."

Future residency interviewer/OP: "hahahahaha" (smug chuckle in unison)

theserbatron

put mo' chamomile on it
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2007
Lone Star
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i kidding ... btw i love pierogies.

bluemonkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Allegedly he shares the account with his "brother", who is going to pharmacy school. Interesting though, because if you look at all of his posts they are consistent with wanting to go to med school (and with an anti-DO flare of course).:rolleyes:
Why would you share an account with your brother?

To the OP: Don't you know the secret SDN handshake? You can get your own account!!!

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Clicking on a thread, reading the content and THEN realizing it is by pharm21 is like getting rickrolled. You get that huh ... wha... AH DAMN!! Feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.