Pros and Cons school debate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZeaL6

Class of 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Granted, this is an "if you were in my shoes" scenario, but I'd like to see what people have to say. What are the best pros and cons to decide medical school on? I feel like rotations, required class time, money, fit are very important, but here is a scenario:

This isn't exactly hypothetical, but for instance, I have been accepted to 2 schools, one out of state, one in state.

For OOS school- H/P/F, better rotation sites (I think by a decent margin), required class time (though debated by students as to how enforced the rule is), required research capstone, 45k/year, 4 hour drive from where I live, better fit for my personality, dont necessarily want to do residency in this area, but there are some mainstream academic programs near this location.

For IS school- H/P/F, not the greatest rotations, not many classes are required, many M1 summer opportunities, 35k/year, 45 minute drive, better support system due to me knowing about 60-65 kids in the program (and my gf and family are in closer proximity), a lot of construction of new facilities that will be in place when I start to attend, don't want to do my residency in this area.

Obviously there is probably more that I'm forgetting and financial aid packages haven't been released yet, but given the current list what would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm leaning toward IS school.

- The grading is the same at both so that's out.
- Doesn't seem like you're keen on doing your residency in either area so that's out.
- 40K less but is that just tuition or the cost of attendance? If cost will help decide, you're going to really have to wait for those packages.

Do you enjoy research? Are you comfortable with mandatory class time? How does OOS school fit your personality and does that overshadow being surrounded by family and friends? Were those nearby programs ones you want to partake in at OOS school? Are the better rotations core clerkships?

It would be great if you could attend the second looks for both schools. Find out just how much class is required (do they record lecture?). Speak with a 3rd year about the rotations for IS school.

I assume the first school is OU?

Regardless, my personal preference would be the cheaper school with a better support system.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by "better rotation sites?" What makes you say that? I ask because what you think is "better" may or may not actually matter with respect to the quality of your education. It seems like that's really the only positive aspect of the OOS school.

@xroc yes that is correct. @NickNaylor I shouldn't say "better" rotation sites because I don't know how things work on the inside. I should say better hospital rankings. This is some good advice though. I know board scores don't mean a whole lot but the IS school has an average of about 219ish and the OOS school is 226. I know its all about individual effort but I think resources can be a big component to that equation as well. The personality fit was speaking about the atmosphere and mission of the school, students, and faculty.

Reactions: 1 user
@xroc yes that is correct. @NickNaylor I shouldn't say "better" rotation sites because I don't know how things work on the inside. I should say better hospital rankings. This is some good advice though. I know board scores don't mean a whole lot but the IS school has an average of about 219ish and the OOS school is 226. I know its all about individual effort but I think resources can be a big component to that equation as well. The personality fit was speaking about the atmosphere and mission of the school, students, and faculty.

I wouldn't worry about the board score average. A difference between a 219 and 226 is minimal (I think the S.D. of step 1 scores is 20?). Now, if you're talking about a 210 average vs. a 245, then I would maybe look into that more in depth.

Probably the IS school. Cheaper, gf, family, less required lecture, sounds like a great deal.

Which school would you feel more comfortable at? No matter what the benefits, if you're miserable for the next 2-4 years, no school's plusses are worth it, not even UCSF or Harvard.

Granted, this is an "if you were in my shoes" scenario, but I'd like to see what people have to say. What are the best pros and cons to decide medical school on? I feel like rotations, required class time, money, fit are very important, but here is a scenario:

This isn't exactly hypothetical, but for instance, I have been accepted to 2 schools, one out of state, one in state.

For OOS school- H/P/F, better rotation sites (I think by a decent margin), required class time (though debated by students as to how enforced the rule is), required research capstone, 45k/year, 4 hour drive from where I live, better fit for my personality, dont necessarily want to do residency in this area, but there are some mainstream academic programs near this location.

For IS school- H/P/F, not the greatest rotations, not many classes are required, many M1 summer opportunities, 35k/year, 45 minute drive, better support system due to me knowing about 60-65 kids in the program (and my gf and family are in closer proximity), a lot of construction of new facilities that will be in place when I start to attend, don't want to do my residency in this area.

Obviously there is probably more that I'm forgetting and financial aid packages haven't been released yet, but given the current list what would you choose and why?

Reactions: 1 user