General Admissions & OTCAS Pros and Cons. Should I look at more than the price?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTD20

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted at my top choice school for the OTD program. However, it comes with a pretty price tag of $110,000 (out-of-state).

I am trying to think logically about this and get into an in-state school... But I haven't toured anything like my top choice school. They had incredible facilities and technologies regarding occupational therapy. The faculty was great, helpful, and supportive. I loved the campus, city, and community.

I'm just having a hard time weighing the pros and cons. Should I look at more than money?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I know a lot of us have been going back and forth regarding the cost issue, OTD v MSOT, etc. Ultimately, there isn't a right or wrong answer. you have to do what's best for you. I will be attending a private college getting my OTD. It's the program I want, it's the degree I want, and it's in a location that I want. I am not coming straight out of college, so the idea of going to school full time and taking out a ton of loans terrifies me. From what I have been told, there shouldn't be any issue of qualifying for the loans you will need for the program. Money may be tight for a while and you'll be saddled with loans for a while. But, we (luckily) are in a profession that pays well enough where you will be able to pay that back if you plan accordingly. You have to decide if you think you will be happier at your top choice and if it is worth taking those extra loans out. Are you at a point in your life where you can afford to take out those extra loans and know that you'll have that extra cost? Do you have a family that you need to support right away? Is the program worth what you're going to be paying for it (FOR YOU)? Good luck with your decision! It's not easy, but it's important!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your response! Coming from a lower socioeconomic status family, I have had assistance with undergraduate so that is more comforting. On the flip side, I am terrified of debt because of my background. I don't want to be constantly budgeting and worrying still. I don't have kids, but I live on a farm with animals to provide for. Farming is an occupation that helps me keep my sanity, and I am working to avoid disrupting it at all costs!

I was able to accept a seat with an OTD program. But am still waiting for in-state schools to reply - hoping they will aid in my decision making process! Unfortunately, I didn't have any in-state OTD program options.

But I am also looking at weighing the pros and cons of returning post-professionally to obtain a doctorate (seems to be much cheaper and flexible - but the experience may be less), if teaching is the direction I truly desire. May I ask why you chose the OTD instead of the Masters?

Hey there! I know a lot of us have been going back and forth regarding the cost issue, OTD v MSOT, etc. Ultimately, there isn't a right or wrong answer. you have to do what's best for you. I will be attending a private college getting my OTD. It's the program I want, it's the degree I want, and it's in a location that I want. I am not coming straight out of college, so the idea of going to school full time and taking out a ton of loans terrifies me. From what I have been told, there shouldn't be any issue of qualifying for the loans you will need for the program. Money may be tight for a while and you'll be saddled with loans for a while. But, we (luckily) are in a profession that pays well enough where you will be able to pay that back if you plan accordingly. You have to decide if you think you will be happier at your top choice and if it is worth taking those extra loans out. Are you at a point in your life where you can afford to take out those extra loans and know that you'll have that extra cost? Do you have a family that you need to support right away? Is the program worth what you're going to be paying for it (FOR YOU)? Good luck with your decision! It's not easy, but it's important!

Members don't see this ad :)
But I am also looking at weighing the pros and cons of returning post-professionally to obtain a doctorate (seems to be much cheaper and flexible - but the experience may be less), if teaching is the direction I truly desire. May I ask why you chose the OTD instead of the Masters?

There are a few reasons why I chose the OTD instead of the MSOT. The first, though superficial, is that I can't get passed being "Dr. Thatacquakid." It has a good ring to it. In reality though, there are a few reasons why I chose OTD.

1. I'm currently working full time and for the past year and a half have been taking pre-requisites in addition to working. It's not easy. I want to get my degree and be done. I would rather spend the extra year getting that doctoral component then work than to have to go back to school.

2. It will be necessary. There are several threads regarding the transition from MSOT to OTD. The targeted transition date is in 2025. That seems like a long time from now but it's not. By the time we graduate it will either be 2020 or 2021 (two v three year program). That puts their target date only a few years away. Who's to say that doesn't change? Perhaps with more and more schools phasing out the MS program it will be earlier. All I know is, currently a masters is perfectly acceptable. And if you have a masters currently, sure you won't be denied a job. According to AOTA, there will be no problem with graduates prior to this date regarding licensing. But we are in a REALLY weird period where the 3-4 years of experience we may have may not compete with someone with their OTD when looking at job prospects. I am by NO means an expert or fortune teller on whether or not this will be the case, but I think it is a valid concern to consider.

3. New and emerging fields. With the growth in occupational therapy, there are new fields emerging, including the need for teachers for OTD, researchers, and who knows what to come. OT is an incredible field where we aren't specialized in any one aspect of therapy. I don't want there to be any limitations to my job prospects due to my education level.

4. The doctoral component itself. One of the MAJOR differences between EL OTD and MSOT is the third year "doctoral component." If you haven't looked into this, I highly recommend you do so. Per AOTA "The doctoral degree offers additional semesters of study focusing on clinical practice skills, research skills, administration, leadership, program and policy development, advocacy, education, and theory development." Basically, you spend another year working in the field (for free) in a more specialized clinical practice that may be up and coming or you may not have been able to experience during your level II fieldworks. I know I would prefer to have experience under a clinician in a new field before venturing into it myself.

Again, these are just my two cents. I am not an OT, I'm not affiliated with AOTA, and I've never been involved in either program. This is just the research I've done and the opinions I've made. Sorry for the lengthy response!

Reactions: 2 users
There are a few reasons why I chose the OTD instead of the MSOT. The first, though superficial, is that I can't get passed being "Dr. Thatacquakid." It has a good ring to it. In reality though, there are a few reasons why I chose OTD.

1. I'm currently working full time and for the past year and a half have been taking pre-requisites in addition to working. It's not easy. I want to get my degree and be done. I would rather spend the extra year getting that doctoral component then work than to have to go back to school.

2. It will be necessary. There are several threads regarding the transition from MSOT to OTD. The targeted transition date is in 2025. That seems like a long time from now but it's not. By the time we graduate it will either be 2020 or 2021 (two v three year program). That puts their target date only a few years away. Who's to say that doesn't change? Perhaps with more and more schools phasing out the MS program it will be earlier. All I know is, currently a masters is perfectly acceptable. And if you have a masters currently, sure you won't be denied a job. According to AOTA, there will be no problem with graduates prior to this date regarding licensing. But we are in a REALLY weird period where the 3-4 years of experience we may have may not compete with someone with their OTD when looking at job prospects. I am by NO means an expert or fortune teller on whether or not this will be the case, but I think it is a valid concern to consider.

3. New and emerging fields. With the growth in occupational therapy, there are new fields emerging, including the need for teachers for OTD, researchers, and who knows what to come. OT is an incredible field where we aren't specialized in any one aspect of therapy. I don't want there to be any limitations to my job prospects due to my education level.

4. The doctoral component itself. One of the MAJOR differences between EL OTD and MSOT is the third year "doctoral component." If you haven't looked into this, I highly recommend you do so. Per AOTA "The doctoral degree offers additional semesters of study focusing on clinical practice skills, research skills, administration, leadership, program and policy development, advocacy, education, and theory development." Basically, you spend another year working in the field (for free) in a more specialized clinical practice that may be up and coming or you may not have been able to experience during your level II fieldworks. I know I would prefer to have experience under a clinician in a new field before venturing into it myself.

Again, these are just my two cents. I am not an OT, I'm not affiliated with AOTA, and I've never been involved in either program. This is just the research I've done and the opinions I've made. Sorry for the lengthy response!
It's not until July 2027 that all entry-level programs have to be OTD. I don't think there's any way that they would make it earlier since programs have been told this is the date that it will be and many are probably using it as an end date as to when they will transition.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not until July 2027 that all entry-level programs have to be OTD. I don't think there's any way that they would make it earlier since programs have been told this is the date that it will be and many are probably using it as an end date as to when they will transition.

I know I have seen 2027 somewhere, so you're probably right. I was pulling 2025 from AOTA where they say "...it is the position of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) Board of Directors that the profession should take action to transition toward a doctoral-level single point of entry for occupational therapists, with a target date of 2025." https://www.aota.org/AboutAOTA/Get-Involved/BOD/OTD-Statement.aspx

Either way, I still stand by the points that I've made. And while I am sure some will wait until the final year to transition, I don't believe most schools will wait until the final year (be it 2025 or 2027) because if something happens with the accreditation process, they won't have any programs to lean on. As I said in my previous post, I'm not an expert, nor do I pretend to be. These are just my thoughts and why I chose to pursue the OTD rather than the MSOT.

Thank you for your insightful response. I should say the biggest reason for me not wanting to take out loans associated with the OTD program is because I'm not sure how it would effect my life afterwards or how student loans effect aspects of life. I want to continue farming and working with animals, but hopefully some day (after clinic experience) begin my own hippotherapy or animal-assisted therapy practice, I actually have a great connection for this already from an undergraduate internship. I really like the additional focuses that the OTD program had to offer as well. I know many are stating that the field is experience based pay only, but I do like the idea of a larger potential for teaching at the doctorate level or working in research at a university. I am somebody that enjoys a change of pace every once in awhile (not to imply that OT does have that within single settings ha!). I 100% agree that part of it can be superficial too... But I think that part is ok. It's so silly to me the program hasn't been doctorate for longer almost... The OTD program I got into is only 18 credits more than a masters program I applied too. You are basically working for a doctorate degree without the proof of having one, which I feel is a slap to the face. I would prefer an extra semester to have more research or leadership skills, it's purely just the price.

If there was an OTD program within my state of residence, I wouldn't have this problem as it would essentially be the same price as a masters. But being out of state makes it double the price of a masters.

I'm not sure how to manage that kind of debt while wanting to raise a family and live on a farm. It seems less compatible with my life objectives and goals. I have briefly looked into loan forgiveness programs, but it seems they are facing their own turmoil and may not be in place much longer. I chose occupational therapy because I have a really personal healthcare field connection and am devoted to helping those in need, but I also want to make sure I am able to care for myself and family at the end of the day.

Thank you for your insightful response. I should say the biggest reason for me not wanting to take out loans associated with the OTD program is because I'm not sure how it would effect my life afterwards or how student loans effect aspects of life. I want to continue farming and working with animals, but hopefully some day (after clinic experience) begin my own hippotherapy or animal-assisted therapy practice, I actually have a great connection for this already from an undergraduate internship. I really like the additional focuses that the OTD program had to offer as well. I know many are stating that the field is experience based pay only, but I do like the idea of a larger potential for teaching at the doctorate level or working in research at a university. I am somebody that enjoys a change of pace every once in awhile (not to imply that OT does have that within single settings ha!). I 100% agree that part of it can be superficial too... But I think that part is ok. It's so silly to me the program hasn't been doctorate for longer almost... The OTD program I got into is only 18 credits more than a masters program I applied too. You are basically working for a doctorate degree without the proof of having one, which I feel is a slap to the face. I would prefer an extra semester to have more research or leadership skills, it's purely just the price.

If there was an OTD program within my state of residence, I wouldn't have this problem as it would essentially be the same price as a masters. But being out of state makes it double the price of a masters.

I'm not sure how to manage that kind of debt while wanting to raise a family and live on a farm. It seems less compatible with my life objectives and goals. I have briefly looked into loan forgiveness programs, but it seems they are facing their own turmoil and may not be in place much longer. I chose occupational therapy because I have a really personal healthcare field connection and am devoted to helping those in need, but I also want to make sure I am able to care for myself and family at the end of the day.

At the end of the day, you can get your masters and be fine. If you're worried about cost, I would say try for masters (with the OTD to fall back down on). At the end of the day, you can also take that extra year and a half down the road and take post-professional OTD course.

At the end of the day, you can get your masters and be fine. If you're worried about cost, I would say try for masters (with the OTD to fall back down on). At the end of the day, you can also take that extra year and a half down the road and take post-professional OTD course.

I've been considering that route as well. It would allow me to obtain the doctorate without $100,000 in education, since there are in-state masters and in-state post-professional programs that total less than $80k. The only thing I didn't like about this route was the amount of credits some of the post-professional programs can have, making it seem much more complex that just obtaining a OTD outright. And of course, if I'd be missing out an any experiences since a lot of post-professional programs are hybrid or online (at least in this area).

So many decisions! Although it really isn't a bad spot to be in. Just big decisions ha!