pros & cons for intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carb Addict

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of doing your intern year in IM, surg, or TY? Do most people do TY?

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably a silly question, but I have no idea how this part of the process works.

Ok, say you want to specialize in radiology, but as far as I can tell you must or at least should do an intern year. Do you match straight to radiology your senior year and then do an intern year at that site, or do you match twice, once for intern and again the next for radiology?

Thanks! ;)

Originally posted by Amxcvbcv
This is probably a silly question, but I have no idea how this part of the process works.

Ok, say you want to specialize in radiology, but as far as I can tell you must or at least should do an intern year. Do you match straight to radiology your senior year and then do an intern year at that site, or do you match twice, once for intern and again the next for radiology?

Thanks! ;)

Your question was answered a few days ago here.

But I'm still curious about others' thoughts on my question! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
No advantage to a difficult prelim surgery year, do the transitional year or prelim medicine year that has the least amount of call and scut work. Most radiologists do a transitional year or prelim medicine year.

There was a thread about this on aunt minnie. You can search for it if you want.

Anybody who tells you that doing a surg or tough prelim medicine year is better has no idea of what they are talking about. It has ZERO relation to what kind of radiologist you will be. So take everybody's elses advice. Get the Intern year with the most amount of electives, least amount of scut and the least amount of call.

I'd agree with the posters above. Go to the nicest TY or prelim medicine spots. Some medicine programs are better than some TY in terms of hours, etc.

The only possible exceptions, when you may choose a slightly tougher medicine internship are the combined programs. Some, such as my own, give great exposure to radiology. I got 3 months of radiology when I got to act as a radiology resident (dictating, doing procedures, etc). These months gave me a head start and let me meet many of the attendings so it was an advantage early on. I also get 3 extra months of elective time. Another plus is that I know the system of the hospital and many of the medicine residents (as well as some other specialties) so that it saves me time in contacting people, looking up clinical information, etc.

Where are you at Whisker Barrel Cortex? What other schools offer a combined program like the one you mentioned?

Thanks,

Pete.

The only ones I interviewed at that offered such a combined program were U Wisconsin, Indiana U, and Albert Einstein in philly. I think there are others, you could look it up on the AMA website.