Pros/Cons of: CCOM, KCOM, NSU-COM, NYCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superkiwi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was just wondering what people thought of the above schools - e.g. what they thought of them comparatively/how they would personally rank the schools and why...

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

The only drawback of KCOM so far as I know is it's location- Kirksville isn't the most exciting place.

For some the Pros/Cons I choose will have an opposite appeal and some are more important than others.

Cons
Cost of tuition, medical insurance, and living
8 people/cadever
300 entering class
No academic scholarships from NYCOM - should change in next couple of years once NYCOM is registered as "school as lender".

Pros
You are in or near NYC!
choice of living in urban/suburban areas while in school
I like the campus and facilities
Diverse student body
choice of rotations in a number of suburban and urban hospitals.not too sure on rural.
NYCOM's reputation in the hospitals around NYC
Technology(ICC, stan, Stan Jr., lectures via web,class notes,etc.)
Best clinical rotations of DO schools in my opinion
Ability to do all clerkships in one hospital (choice of 5 hospitals to do this I think)
About 300 entering
Pre-Doctoral Fellowships
Emigre Program(for immigrants and perhaps for guidance)
Actively expanding research program - I know Dr. Hallas recently added at least one clinic research affiliation with one of its hospital last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
34, URM married with a son (soon to be a 7yo)

most important things for me in respective order:
1)my lifestyle when in school (workload, moving around for clerkships, etc.)
2)ability to do clerkships in urban and suburban hospitals
3)Diverse student body
4)price
5)opportunities for research
6)lots of technology in school
7)location of school near or in big city

HunterGatherer said:
For some the Pros/Cons I choose will have an opposite appeal and some are more important than others.

Cons
Cost of tuition, medical insurance, and living
8 people/cadever
300 entering class
No academic scholarships from NYCOM - should change in next couple of years once NYCOM is registered as "school as lender".

Pros
You are in or near NYC!
choice of living in urban/suburban areas while in school
I like the campus and facilities
Diverse student body
choice of rotations in a number of suburban and urban hospitals.not too sure on rural.
NYCOM's reputation in the hospitals around NYC
Technology(ICC, stan, Stan Jr., lectures via web,class notes,etc.)
Best clinical rotations of DO schools in my opinion
Ability to do all clerkships in one hospital (choice of 5 hospitals to do this I think)
About 300 entering
Pre-Doctoral Fellowships
Emigre Program(for immigrants and perhaps for guidance)
Actively expanding research program - I know Dr. Hallas recently added at least one clinic research affiliation with one of its hospital last year.

thanks for you reply! this is a post i just left for superDOgirl on her CCOM/NYCOM thread about my general thoughts for my schools...

-i interviewed at NSU-COM first. i really like the campus (huge!) and general atmosphere. the mandatory attendance policy i can see as getting annoying, but i think that doctors should go to class anyway! i also don't like the fact that you can't wear flip flops - in florida! but those are minor. i also appreciate the fact that everyone who got into nova (on these student forum boards) is SO excited to go there. i think it speaks to a lot of general enthusiasm for the student population and community. it has a strong pass-rate for the boards, which is encouraging as well. however, i'm not sure if it has a strong a reputation as, say, NYCOM, CCOM, or KCOM. i just don't know - it might be a regional thing. i also like the fact that there are so many other health-professional schools in the general vicinity - great learning environment and great for making connections later in life! florida is great, a bit humid, but i think i could get used to it. one of the student ambassadors invited the interviewees who were staying the night to a round of drinks at the hard rock cafe....

-i interviewed at NYCOM second... i was talking with a student ambassador and asked how big her MS-2 class was. she replied that she thought they were about 288 now but started off with about 320. that attrition rate kinda spooked me. in addition, my interviewer had gone to NSU-COM and said that he thought the NYCOM program was stronger. on the other hand, the NSU-COM boards pass rate was like 95% or something around the mid-90's and that's pretty impressive as well. the admissions people at NYCOM would NOT tell us their board pass rate! they were like, "well we have the statistics on that, but they're really not that important - you just really have to put in the effort yourself to do well on them. we are "right in the middle of the pack."" and i completely understand that - you don't ride on the coattails of previous success - but a general percentile would have been helpful.

i like NYCOM because it's near NYC (where i'm from) and so as close as i'm gonna get to a lot of my social support (friends and family). they also have a great rep., as you mentioned above. i was even talking with a dean at a NYC MD school (an old friend of my mom's) and he mentioned that NYCOM has a great rep. a thing that was mixed with me was that the classes are all videotaped, which is great if you miss something, but it also seemed like a lot of people just don't go to class at all... i liked the setting of the college - in the woods - and wish i'd gotten more of a feel for the students. everyone seemed nice (though one of the ambassadors did all the talking while the other one was pretty silent).

-i interviewed at CCOM right after that. i was impressed by the campus' technology and like the fact that it's in chicagoland. (love that word!) it was also very cold. very very very cold. i did not like that. it also has a great reputation and i'm sure it's well-deserved and i wish i knew more about the rankings of residencies so i could figure out which is the "best" (for me). one interviewer said she had taught at NYCOM and basically raved that CCOM was a lot stronger in the basic sciences. of course, i think that one of the admissions committee chairs was sitting right next to her, so she might feel obligated to say more-positive things - i don't know. our tour guide was very enthusiastic about the school. he was very talkative and very honest about the school, which i definitely appreciated. he also had some very republican pins on his backpack. although i'm not hugely political, i am a moderate-liberal person. i wish i had been able to meet more students to see if most people were more conservative, etc. i've always imagined myself more on-the-coasts of the US and it would probably be a culture-shift to go to a chicago suburb....

superkiwi said:
thanks for you reply! this is a post i just left for superDOgirl on her CCOM/NYCOM thread about my general thoughts for my schools...

-i interviewed at NSU-COM first. i really like the campus (huge!) and general atmosphere. the mandatory attendance policy i can see as getting annoying, but i think that doctors should go to class anyway! i also don't like the fact that you can't wear flip flops - in florida! but those are minor. i also appreciate the fact that everyone who got into nova (on these student forum boards) is SO excited to go there. i think it speaks to a lot of general enthusiasm for the student population and community. it has a strong pass-rate for the boards, which is encouraging as well. however, i'm not sure if it has a strong a reputation as, say, NYCOM, CCOM, or KCOM. i just don't know - it might be a regional thing. i also like the fact that there are so many other health-professional schools in the general vicinity - great learning environment and great for making connections later in life! florida is great, a bit humid, but i think i could get used to it. one of the student ambassadors invited the interviewees who were staying the night to a round of drinks at the hard rock cafe....

here's my concern about nsucom, though -- the current students seem a lot less happy with their school than students at other schools. go read the class of 2009 and 2008 threads, and you'll get a definite vibe that the administration isn't very responsive to students. also, they have mandatory attendance coupled with more class time than most schools, so you're stuck in class 8 to 5 most days, which doesn't leave lots of time for studying. again, i don't go there and turned down my interview but check out the other threads to see what current students say.

ccom is the only school on your list that i interviewed at, and yeah, i had the tour guide with the republican stickers. i talked to another student that was pretty liberal, and he said there was diversity of political opinions there, so it's not like everyone's a republican. ccom's a great school. i turned it down because of expense, and i honestly didn't like the area. chicago's cool, though.

i didn't apply to kcom because of location and don't really know anything about nycom.

if you are worried about reputation..all of those schools have very excellent reputation...to the point where if you pick any one of those schools you'lll be set

mikeypo0 said:
if you are worried about reputation..all of those schools have very excellent reputation...to the point where if you pick any one of those schools you'lll be set

hee, yeah, i am very lucky in that respect... i guess it's that undergraduate college question again of "where will i be happiest for the next couple of years?" - a question no one can really answer until you're actually there... sometimes i just feel like it's a crapshoot!

i think at this point..you have to recall back to the interview day..and ask yourself if you can see yourself be happy ..and if you feel like you fit in...those are a good list of schools to choose from..and you will no doubt get first rate eduction at any of those schools..good luck deciding :)

I was the tour guide with the republican buttons. I kinda find it funny that I gave a tour to both of you. I usually don't give tours very often depending on how the schedule is. PM me if you have any questions. And Kiwi, thanks for the kind words. Good luck everyone in there decision making.

superkiwi said:
Hi! I was just wondering what people thought of the above schools - e.g. what they thought of them comparatively/how they would personally rank the schools and why...

Thanks for your input!

Im curious. Where do you get that NSU-COM has a 95% comlex (I assume) pass rate? They have not reported their board pass rates for years if i'm correct. A 95% pass rate would be anecdotal at best however from what the SD boards say (And you can take most of the crap posted here with a huge grain of salt) is that they hover near or above the national mean.

Airzonk said:
Im curious. Where do you get that NSU-COM has a 95% comlex (I assume) pass rate? They have not reported their board pass rates for years if i'm correct. A 95% pass rate would be anecdotal at best however from what the SD boards say (And you can take most of the crap posted here with a huge grain of salt) is that they hover near or above the national mean.

Hi! Well I got the ~95% from the admissions people, who told us that statistic during our interview day.... but just to be totally sure, I just called the admissions department, who put me through to the registrar, who confirmed that they have a class of about 228 and she estimated the comlex pass rate at ~95%.

What is the national mean, anyway?