Pros/Cons of DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm studying EKGs right now so this is actually an interesting discussion for me. I really don't have to justify my decision to anyone, as I am very pleased with the choices I have made thus far......and have had absolutely no regrets.

I'm happy for you.

Actually, some applicants, probably yes, and some, I have to say no. I have met 5th year residents and practicing physicians who were very unhappy and have told me that they wished they understood more about what they were making decisions about.....and from this I try to do thorough research and I encourage others to do the same.

What?

And my opinion, and I will restate it once again to avoid confusion, is that considering residency options for a highly competitive spot is a bad reason to select going the DO path over other paths, including allopathic path. My opinion is that an applicants personal philosophy about medicine and how it relates to those who practice osteopathic medicine should be a far more important a consideration for someone who is thinking about becoming a DO.

I see where you're coming from. However, it appears that many more DO's don't believe in the philosophy and just want to be physicians, hence why the majority of them go to MD residencies anyways. The two DO's I shadowed (an ortho and a FP), didn't use the philosophy at all, and said a majority of their classmates rarely bought into it.

I still do agree with rysser, though. If you were dead set on becoming a dermatologist/radiologist (something I don't feel you can know as a pre-med anyways), and you would only be happy going to an MD residency, I would suggest you do not go to a DO school. This is something rysser was saying, and I agree with him. You should consider how often students gets placed into these residencies if you are so deadset on being that sort of physician.

Some do, some not so much. My opinions have been supported by other members on this forum so I am not alone in my thinking.

Your choice of words make it seem as if the majority do, and even those that don't still do, just not to that degree.

Once again, by you saying "Some do, some not so much", you are insinuating that the majority of DO's practice OMM daily and let the philosophy dominate how they practice. This is not something you should speak of if you are not directly involved in the profession. How exactly do you know?

Members don't see this ad.

I see where you're coming from. However, it appears that many more DO's don't believe in the philosophy and just want to be physicians, hence why the majority of them go to MD residencies anyways. The two DO's I shadowed (an ortho and a FP), didn't use the philosophy at all, and said a majority of their classmates rarely bought into it.

Well, I guess this gets to the heart of the matter. You don't believe the osteopathic philosophy, you out and out right reject it, and you wanted to be like an allopathic physician and chose the DO route instead. My opinion is that this is bad as you as you will be grouped in with people who very much embrace Osteopathic principles, and you will contently be trying to deny this and deny what it means to be a DO. If instead you choose to become an Allopath, you would never have this problem.

I still do agree with rysser, though. If you were dead set on becoming a dermatologist/radiologist (something I don't feel you can know as a pre-med anyways), and you would only be happy going to an MD residency, I would suggest you do not go to a DO school. This is something rysser was saying, and I agree with him. You should consider how often students gets placed into these residencies if you are so deadset on being that sort of physician.

This might be important for a very small minority, but this should not be as high on the list as medical philosophy, and that's why I consider this to be bad advice.

Once again, by you saying "Some do, some not so much", you are insinuating that the majority of DO's practice OMM daily and let the philosophy dominate how they practice. This is not something you should speak of if you are not directly involved in the profession. How exactly do you know?

I'm not saying a majority. I'm saying some do. If a DO up the road from you is doing OMM to most of his patients, it's reasonable to say that people will think that's what you do too and you will be fighting an uphill battle trying to convice people otherwise. I don't understand why this is such a taboo to talk about this from the perspective of someone who is outside the osteopathic profession as you make it sound like OMM is the dirty little secrtet that no one should be talking about.

Well, I guess this gets to the heart of the matter. You don't believe the osteopathic philosophy, you out and out right reject it, and you wanted to be like an allopathic physician and chose the DO route instead. My opinion is that this is bad as you as you will be grouped in with people who very much embrace Osteopathic principles, and you will contently be trying to deny this and deny what it means to be a DO. If instead you choose to become an Allopath, you would never have this problem.

This might be important for a very small minority, but this should not be as high on the list as medical philosophy, and that's why I consider this to be bad advice.

I'm not saying a majority. I'm saying some do. If a DO up the road from you is doing OMM to most of his patients, it's reasonable to say that people will think that's what you do too and you will be fighting an uphill battle trying to convice people otherwise. I don't understand why this is such a taboo to talk about this from the perspective of someone who is outside the osteopathic profession as you make it sound like OMM is the dirty little secrtet that no one should be talking about.

Who said I don't believe in the philosophy? I can't say anything for sure, but from what I've seen, it's possible to believe in the philosophy, but still practice medicine THE EXACT SAME WAY an MD practices. Believing in the philosophy/OMM and using the philosophy/OMM are two different things. I'm not denying anyone anything.

And who am I trying to convince? My patients? If they don't want me to see them, are you seriously trying to say that I, as a DO, will have trouble finding patients? From what I've heard, patients just want you to treat them.

Talking about OMM is not taboo. What is taboo is when you say stuff like most DO's are like chiropractors/alternative doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talking about OMM is not taboo. What is taboo is when you say stuff like most DO's are like chiropractors/alternative doctors.

I have never said this nor do I believe that it is a majority.

I have said that there are some DOs who have philosophies and approaches that are more similar to chiropractors and alternative doctors than Allophaths. This should not be a taboo as it is the reality in the DO profession.

I have said that there are some DOs who have philosophies and approaches that are more similar to chiropractors and alternative doctors than Allophaths. This should not be a taboo as it is the reality in the DO profession.

I'm sure there are some MDs who have philosophies that are different from what they are taught in medical school. Does that mean that all are like this?

Ok I'm done. Good luck with your EKG's. And keep patrolling the pre-osteo forums as a Carib-MD. Your advice is always fun to argue with :D

OMM is not considered alternative or complementary medicine. Please do not associate it with that or with chiropractic.

For better or worse, only a small percentage of practacing DOs use OMT with any frequency, where indicated. While I cant speak for all practioners-there will be the fringe with MDs and DOs-all physicians in the US are held to the same standard of care, whether they use OMT or not.

Truly, what everyone calls osteopathic philosophy amounts to one class in medical school. The rest is essentially indistinguishable from allopathic medical school. There is no osteopathic or allopathic philosophy any more. Its pretty much seen as historical. All physicians practice to the same standard.

I can't seem to resist feeding time.

Are there not some graduates from Caribbean medical schools that are horrible doctors? Are there not some MDs who are complete quacks? Aren't there some people that think that if you went to med school in the Caribbean your degree is a joke?

I think it works both ways.

OMM is not considered alternative or complementary medicine. Please do not associate it with that or with chiropractic.

For better or worse, only a small percentage of practacing DOs use OMT with any frequency, where indicated. While I cant speak for all practioners-there will be the fringe with MDs and DOs-all physicians in the US are held to the same standard of care, whether they use OMT or not.

Truly, what everyone calls osteopathic philosophy amounts to one class in medical school. The rest is essentially indistinguishable from allopathic medical school. There is no osteopathic or allopathic philosophy any more. Its pretty much seen as historical. All physicians practice to the same standard.

Totally agree. Now a days, our training is identical except for the 1 hr/wk OMM lecture and the 2 hr/wk OMM lab(hands on OMM technique learning). Some say we learn physical exam better, others say we are more friendly and personable, but I think this is mostly the person and not the school. DOs who do OMM to any significan level in their practice usually do it b/c they enjoy it and or are good at it. The Reason lots of DOs dont do it is not because they dont "agree" with it but is b/c
1. They dont enjoy doing it
2. They did an allopathic(MD) residency and forgot alot of it.
3. Are in a specialty that doesnt really need OMM (Psych)
4. Insurance doesnt pay well/ or doesnt want to deal with billing for it
5. Takes alot of time and is impatient
6. Isnt a touchy feely person and thus doesnt like OMM much
7. Feels like it is inconsistant when it works/ easier to give a muscle relaxent
8. Works with alot of M.Ds and wants to "fit in" and not "stand out" as being different.

I can go on all day why a DO would not want to OMM. It doesnt mean they reject what they learned and think its totally useless, they just dont do it for one reason or another. Most premed students dont know enough about it to make a decision if they want to use it or not. All they know is what others tell them, and this is usually 2nd hand opinions more than truth.

dude, what the F is wrong with you. IT WAS NOT ADVICE. It was a CON that I listed. Jesus christ you are thick headed.

There are so many good things that you can learn on SDN. If you want to learn about osteopathic medicine, there is a forum specifically for you. You can hear many different opinions on the subject... but, you must keep in mind that in any anonymous forum each piece of advice must be taken with a grain of salt. You really have no idea who you are talking to.

There will be many helpful people who have been accepted to osteopathic schools and can relate many of their experiences to you. Still, it is up to you to determine who to believe, since there are "fakers" around as well.

Then, there are others who patrol the boards looking for a fight. They no nothing about the particular topic at hand, osteopathic medicine for instance, because they have never applied to, been accepted to, or attended any classes at an osteopthic school. They have never attended a conference where DO's were present, may not even have met more than a DO or two, and have never lived the life as an osteopathic student. Yet, they may claim to know how it will be for you should you choose this life. Let me tell you that thewy do NOT know how it is. They may tell you things they have "heard" but keep in mind that if medicine were based on things outsiders may have "heard" in the past, it would not even be considered a science. Perhaps, voodoo would be a better word.

I wonder if some of these people are just narcissistic and need to remain in the center of all conversations, even ones they know very little about. Or, are their own lives just so miserable form the choices they made, that they want to make every one else jsut as miserable as miserable by sowing seeds of dissent and doubt.

I challenge each of you to research the choices you make in life, especially ones that are as big as chosing a medical school-- where you may end up $200,000.00 in debt. And, as in any research, you must consider your sources wisely. I'm definitely no friend of lawyers.... but, there is a reason why hearsay is not allowed in a court of law, and why they use "experts" to testify.

Note- This is a generalized statement. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

I would suggest DrFraud to do some more research. From the way you talk about DOs, its clear that you think most are quacks. I don't know if the carribbean medical school teaches you that there is a division between US DOs vs. international DOs (which are similar to chiroprac...).

Either way, back to the OP.

The pro about going DO is-
*Easier to get into (.12 GPA points and 4-5 MCAT points lower than allopathic counterparts). Tends to be more accepting of non-traditionals.
*Get to practice OMM (if thats your thing, really interest what you can do) - think extra credit hours in muscle-skeletal system. :)
*You can say more holistic philosophy (personally, I don't really see the difference - more of a marketing ploy if you ask me)
*!!!DO only residencies!!!

The con about going DO is-
*There are people ignorant about the degree. (Leading to people thinking less of DOs - I can't remember how many times I have heard people who should no better saying that they aren't real doctors)
*Can't practice internationally (depending on region)
*Harder to get into some MD residencies (surgical I've heard really)
****alot of the above prejudices are starting to die down.

That about sums up most of what I know about the major differences.

There are so many good things that you can learn on SDN. If you want to learn about osteopathic medicine, there is a forum specifically for you. You can hear many different opinions on the subject... but, you must keep in mind that in any anonymous forum each piece of advice must be taken with a grain of salt. You really have no idea who you are talking to.

There will be many helpful people who have been accepted to osteopathic schools and can relate many of their experiences to you. Still, it is up to you to determine who to believe, since there are "fakers" around as well.

Then, there are others who patrol the boards looking for a fight. They no nothing about the particular topic at hand, osteopathic medicine for instance, because they have never applied to, been accepted to, or attended any classes at an osteopthic school. They have never attended a conference where DO's were present, may not even have met more than a DO or two, and have never lived the life as an osteopathic student. Yet, they may claim to know how it will be for you should you choose this life. Let me tell you that thewy do NOT know how it is. They may tell you things they have "heard" but keep in mind that if medicine were based on things outsiders may have "heard" in the past, it would not even be considered a science. Perhaps, voodoo would be a better word.

I wonder if some of these people are just narcissistic and need to remain in the center of all conversations, even ones they know very little about. Or, are their own lives just so miserable form the choices they made, that they want to make every one else jsut as miserable as miserable by sowing seeds of dissent and doubt.

I challenge each of you to research the choices you make in life, especially ones that are as big as chosing a medical school-- where you may end up $200,000.00 in debt. And, as in any research, you must consider your sources wisely. I'm definitely no friend of lawyers.... but, there is a reason why hearsay is not allowed in a court of law, and why they use "experts" to testify.

Note- This is a generalized statement. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Fantastic post. This should be the end all.

Fantastic post. This should be the end all.
Agreed. I would reccomend that the thread be closed with that question, as in my humble opinion we've already discussed every Pro/Con of the DO route.

As a DO and a Chief Resident in an allopathic Residency program I can tell you it does not matter if you are DO or MD, from an American or Foreign Medical School, if you are a good doctor and demonstrate clinical competence and patient care and extensive clinical knowledge your attributes will show through and all your attendings, fellow residents, and colleagues will notice. You guys, however, have not even made it through medical school yet. What are you thinking? Grow up and get over this MD vs DO thing. When your in a code, you won't care if a fellow DO or MD is doing chest compressions with you, Trust me! So, please go enjoy your life and worry about Medical school when it comes around. I promise when the checks roll in, your pay won't be any different than your MD counterpart.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
as a do and a chief resident in an allopathic residency program i can tell you it does not matter if you are do or md, from an american or foreign medical school, if you are a good doctor and demonstrate clinical competence and patient care and extensive clinical knowledge your attributes will show through and all your attendings, fellow residents, and colleagues will notice. You guys, however, have not even made it through medical school yet. What are you thinking? Grow up and get over this md vs do thing. When your in a code, you won't care if a fellow do or md is doing chest compressions with you, trust me! So, please go enjoy your life and worry about medical school when it comes around. I promise when the checks roll in, your pay won't be any different than your md counterpart.

Hope that helps!

thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hungover: