Pros/Cons of NSU and PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharon Lee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently playing the pros/cons game with NSU and PCOM and I was hoping some of you could help. Below are some questions I have about NSU, but if anyone from NSU or PCOM has something that I should take into consideration for my pros/cons list, I'm eager to hear about it. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!!

Does NSU have a scribe/notes service? Do most students subscribe to it?

Are the required textbooks available in the library?

Is the campus completely wireless including in the auditoriums?

Are the professors' power point presentations available on-line?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked the wireless question when I interviewed at NSu and if I remember correctly the campus is wireless but they don't have a lot of electrical outlets in the lecture halls (I think only on the end of rows).

scribe service = eh, not that i know of
textbook = in library
wireless = whole hpd, the big library, business building... even in the toiletry if u want.
presentations = all given in handouts

pro = i hate cold weather.
con = i dont like swiping in ne more, but it's not a big deal. gotta play by their tunes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sharon Lee said:

I know you are asking about NSU, but thought I'll give answer the questions for PCOM (in case you didn't know)

Scribe service - available. Most students subscribe to it (also available on blackboard if you subscribe - and if you want to scribe, a good way to make extra cash)

Are require text in the library - Most are (can't say 100% because I haven't checked for all required books). But as you will learn in med school, the require texts might not necessarily be "required" to do well if you use other GOOD alternative books and sources

Is campus wireless? First 2 floors of Evans Hall are wireless. In auditorium, signal strengths tend to vary. There are also power plugs and ethernet ports located in the study carrels in the library, 3rd floor study room, and 2nd floor of the Student Activity Center.

Professor's powerpoint online? Yes, via blackboard. You are also given 1000 pages/semester to print. Some professors will also give you a bulk pack with their materials in them.

Group_theory
PCOM 2007

Short answer is yes and yes. Long answer is Yes, but only 2nd year. 1st year nearly 100% of your notes are given to you in lecture in the form of handouts. 2nd year you buy into noteservice and then you can make your money back by being a notetaker or copytech. Last year, everyone but 2 people bought into noteservice. This year is tricky b/c as a stipulation of us getting the whole scan in attendance thing, we were told that they would provide notes for us like 1st year. However, we are having trouble with clinicians not getting their powerpoint to us early so sometimes we get the handouts, sometimes we dont, sometimes we get them but late etc. Because we were told we would get the handouts, only about 3/4 of the class subscribed. Additionally, we get a credit to print 1000 pages and many of the lectures are available on on-line but most are given to you in class anyhow.

Yes, all required texts are on reserve in the library (usually about four or five) and many are on the shelf as well. On reserve means that you can check them out in the library for a 3 hour time period. Afterwards, you can recheck if needed. The only problem is that the reserve text can not leave the library. The shelved books can be checked out for about two weeks at a time. We also audio record the lectures and you can check that out and we videorecord OPP labs which you can check out in the library as well (the study rooms have VCRs etc).

Yes, but as was stated earlier there are limited outlets available so you can invest in a good battery or there is generally an outlet open, you just have to sit in certain areas.

First year you are literally given almost every powerpoint or lecture in handout or booklet form (almost=99.99999%). Second year, see above. We are working on making it so that when you start a class, you are given ALL the notes in a bound booklet form for both 1st and 2nd year and many of them are that way or are going that way. Again, you have a 1000 page print credit.

An additional pro to consider if you are interested is that NSUCOM offers a scholarship for the Master of Public Health program for everyone that is accepted to NSUCOM. You have to apply and do an interview but I think that is all a formality; I have never heard of anyone in the COM program not being accepted into the MPH program. You get full tuition and fees for the MPH so all you cover is books. I am in the program. It is pretty flexible and they build classes around our schedule and you can even get some (6 -8 hours) of dual credit that will apply to both programs. However, you can take additional time if needed to complete the degree after graduation and still get the scholarship.

Feel free to post more questions or pm me. Either way, both are great schools and you will get a great education. Good luck with your decision.

War Eagle,
AUdacious
NSUCOM Class of 2007

Thank you all for your input. I guess I have already "kinda" decided where I am going to go, but I just have to make my decision a reality, send in the check, and then start planning for a big move to FL from PA. I'm going to sleep on it for another month, so feel free to post any additional pros/cons. (I received an acceptance from LECOM today, too; I was hoping only one school would want me so the decision would be up to them and not me.)

Sharon Lee said:
Thank you all for your input. I guess I have already "kinda" decided where I am going to go, but I just have to make my decision a reality, send in the check, and then start planning for a big move to FL from PA. I'm going to sleep on it for another month, so feel free to post any additional pros/cons. (I received an acceptance from LECOM today, too; I was hoping only one school would want me so the decision would be up to them and not me.)

Hey Sharon this is kevin from pitt. did we meet at our nova interview? This is porbably you. I got into nova too and got wait-listed at pcom so i am waiting I guess to hear from them. also want to get interviews at nycom or umdnj but we only have till dec 15 to decide on florida. well congrats on lecom and let me know what you ultimately decide.

kevin

Let me add some light to your decision to come to NSUCOM, many students I know at NSUCOM have kicked themselves in the butt for choosing NSUCOM over other DO schools. If I were you, I would look long and hard at going to NSUCOM. I haven't heard much good things about it other than the weather and don't let weather sway your desicion. A friend told me that the Dean said that they are happy being "1-2% below the national average" in terms of board scores. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to shell out 25K+ a year for a dean to tell me they strive for mediocrity. Also, pick your learning style. At NSUCOM, they have an attendance policy that mandates students to be in attendance at 80% of your lectures. Now, I find this silly because most medical students I know study on their own time. If I am correct, any mark below the 80% will result in points deducted from your grade. Just be careful and pick a school that will give you the opportunity, environment, and the support to help you succeed.

Osteopath2005 said:
Let me add some light to your decision to come to NSUCOM, many students I know at NSUCOM have kicked themselves in the butt for choosing NSUCOM over other DO schools. If I were you, I would look long and hard at going to NSUCOM. I haven't heard much good things about it other than the weather and don't let weather sway your desicion. A friend told me that the Dean said that they are happy being "1-2% below the national average" in terms of board scores. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to shell out 25K+ a year for a dean to tell me they strive for mediocrity. Also, pick your learning style. At NSUCOM, they have an attendance policy that mandates students to be in attendance at 80% of your lectures. Now, I find this silly because most medical students I know study on their own time. If I am correct, any mark below the 80% will result in points deducted from your grade. Just be careful and pick a school that will give you the opportunity, environment, and the support to help you succeed.

Do you actually go to NSU?
I was told by the dean that the class is usually right at average or a little above the first time they take the board.

Osteopath2005 said:

Be aware that the above poster is likely a troll. Recently registered, and only one post.

I graduated from NSUCOM in 2003... I am at my #1 choice of residency in a competitive specialty at a competitive institution. We get over 500 applications a year for six spots, and I made it here... so obviously NSUCOM did something good for me!

I have no regrets whatsoever about attending NSUCOM. My one caveat would be to go where tuition is cheapest. If you can get into a state school for 8k a year, go there.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Be aware that the above poster is likely a troll. Recently registered, and only one post.

I graduated from NSUCOM in 2003... I am at my #1 choice of residency in a competitive specialty at a competitive institution. We get over 500 applications a year for six spots, and I made it here... so obviously NSUCOM did something good for me!

I have no regrets whatsoever about attending NSUCOM. My one caveat would be to go where tuition is cheapest. If you can get into a state school for 8k a year, go there.

Q

Thanks for your reply. I am planning on attending NSU next year, and definately will not be going to any sort of state school...so the cost is going to be expensive wherever I go. I was very pleased with the school when I visited; I felt as if I would 'fit in' much better at NSU than at other schools I visited.