Pros/Cons of OB/GYN vs. FM speciality in OB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apple638

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know what the
pros/cons are between doing a residency in OB/GYN and doing a residency in Family Practice and specializing in OB.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I am not an expert but I think it depends on how much of a "hard-core" OB person you want to be and whether you want to see a broader patient base than just OB-gyn issues. If you want to do high-risk patients as an FP you may run into some insurance issues since OB insurance is so expensive - also in larger cities most high-risk patients would be seen by the OBs. If you are rural minded then it may be different. Hope this helps.

M-

I'm sort of in the same boat as the original poster. I love OB, and while I love sexual health education and care, I'm not all about hysterectomies, ex laps for ovarian pathology, fertility medicine... I just want to freakin' deliver babies! It's a tough call and I welcome any other perspectives that might help...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by apple638:
•I just wanted to know what the
pros/cons are between doing a residency in OB/GYN and doing a residency in Family Practice and specializing in OB.•

My brother does OB-GYN, so this is his perspective...

Due to the massive insurance premiums, as a FP, you will likely be delivering only low-risk pregnancies. No high risk stuff or C-Sections. Although you might do some LTCS during your training, in the outside world, most hospitals (especially metropolitan ones) strictly reserve them for the gynecologists.

You'll also find that a lot of FPs don't deliver babies strictly because of the time element -- all it takes is for one of your patients to suddently go into labor and suddenly your entire patient schedule that afternoon is down the tubes.

Great insight...thanks alot for all the responses ;)

I can't deny that Ob/Gyn is my first love but I will keep the Family Practice (specialty in OB) as a backup plan just in case.