Pros/Cons of Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by PW96, Jun 19, 2017 at 9:25 AM.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. PW96

PW96

May 23, 2017
    I am planning on applying for this next cycle that enters fall of 2018. I am really looking at Barry, Western U, Samuel Merrit, Midwestern, Kent State, and Temple. If you go to any of these schools or know somebody who does, could you make a pro/con list for the school? I know these will be people's opinions, but I just wanted to see what they have to say.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. KSUCPMMM

KSUCPMMM

Feb 15, 2017
    Ok I'll bite. I go to KSUCPM, I am finishing my 1st year summer session right now. Keep in mind that everything listed is from my personal perspective and something that I've listed as a pro might be a con for you and vice versa.

Pro:
    Cost of living is CHEAP
    School is large, beautiful, and well maintained
    School is podiatry only
    The class size is large, meaning it is was easier for me to find friends. Despite the large class sizes certain classes have small groups associated with them so you can get individual attention.
    The school is reasonably diverse and everyone comes from different backgrounds.
    People are genuinely nice and helpful, the school is not cut throat in the slighest and students are very open to sharing resources.
    Most staff and faculty members are very nice and always willing to help you. You don't feel like a number.
    Many clubs, both academic associated and fun.
    Many chances to get involved in leadership roles in clubs, even as a first year student.
    Close to downtown Cleveland (15ish min drive) so if you like to go out you can but you aren't pressured to do so if you don't want to.
    Most students live in safe areas with lots of shopping and activities nearby.
    Anatomy lab is 4 students to a cadaver so you get to do a lot.
    Micro lab is excellent, you are given a pathogen and resources to isolate it. It was really good hands-on learning.
    Tutoring sessions are very helpful and nicely structured.
    Most professors are really good about holding review sessions before exams.
    Exam schedule is reasonable, 6ish weeks of classes and then a block of exams.
    Lots of opportunities to go to workshops and talks.
    Probably more things but this is just off the top of my head.

Cons:
    The schedule could be laid out a little tighter. For example sometimes a class will let out at 11 and the next is at 1. There's time to have downtime and eat lunch but not enough time to get meaningful study in.
    The classroom that first years take classes in is kept COLD. People actually bring blankets. It's the middle of summer and I wear a jacket and long pants to class (to be somewhat fair I am a woman and am always cold but the temp at the school is excessively low).
    Some profs aren't great. This depends on personal preference though, you are definitely taught everything you need to learn.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017 at 8:18 AM
  4. Weirdy

Weirdy

Mar 2, 2016
    Plenty of threads on this. Use search function.

5. TimmyTurner

TimmyTurner 2+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Pros of any school: Increased likelihood of obtaining residency anywhere within a 50 mile radius of that school

Cons of any school: Decreased likelihood of obtaining residency anywhere within a 50 mile radius of the other 8 schools.

Where do I see myself long term? The answer to that question greatly influenced my decision.

To differentiate or rank schools based on curriculum or board pass rates is, IMO, splitting hairs.

6. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt 2+ Year Member

May 6, 2015
    When you get interviews at these schools go to them and make your own pros/cons list. Also consider where you'll be happiest at.

IMO all the schools are similar. Minor differences here and there. You'll get a great education anywhere, that's why I say go where you'll be most comfortable/happiest. That's much better than having internet people list pros and cons of schools you've never even seen before

Packers4lifeDPM likes this.