Pros Cons of SMP versus going to Carribbean for a year then transferringapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister T

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCAT on either April 23 or May 1 and scores will be out by June 1 by the latest.

SGU has a deadline of June 15th, and SMP programs like Tufts and Georgetown are around the same date too (approximately).

It seems (and correct me if I'm wrong) that though SMP programs are more formal, they don't give you as many medical school classes and furthermore, once you're done with them, you have to repeat the classes again the next year anyways (if you get accepted at some medical school)

Whereas with going to St. George's or even Ross or SABA, I could get a year of full classes, and at the same time apply to medical schools in America and transfer out.

Total Cost of Attendance is approximately the same for both programs, but I'm also weighing the option of just taking undergrad classes to boost the overall gpa.

Background: 32 MCAT (10 BS 12 Physics 10 V) and 3.35 overall GPA in engineering.

Goal: To get over a 35 on the MCAT by April 23/May 1.

If you were me, and you want to not have any barriers in getting into a residency of choice, what is/are my best options? Are there any other alternatives that I haven't realized/considered?

Also, if I do not score at least a 35 on the MCAT come this summer, I'll just stick with the Carribbean (because a 3.35 and a 32 is not enough, but a 35 or higher and 3.35 will look more "balanaced" imo).

Also, if I had to choose between SGU/Ross/SABA, which one has the best chance of transferring to American MD schools also taking into account cost factors (with St. George's being the most expensive, and SABA being half the total cost of SGU).

And I looked on SGU's website, but it didn't specify whether or not I needed LORs, do I need them?

Thanks,
Mister T

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's my impression that transfers are very rare. I don't think that transfer is a realistic path.

I don't really feel like you need to resort to the Caribbean or a SMP. A 32 and 3.35 are not bad numbers. As long as you apply broadly and early (and have all the other bells and whistles) you stand a good chance at getting into a MD school. My GPA was 3.35 and I got into 6 schools (5 MD).

It's my impression that transfers are very rare. I don't think that transfer is a realistic path.

Even with a potential strong MCAT (over 35) score?

I mean if say, rather than just transferring but just "reapplying for the first year" to medical schools in America, do you think I could get any "credit" from the SGU classes?

I'm just brainstorming what the next best step is and to avoid any deadlines.

I can't think though, of any other SMP-type programs that get you an interview at a school the year after and let you go onto "Year 2"

I know that Tufts SMP, for instance, lets you take the medical school classes that MS1s take, and if you get accepted to Tufts medical school (through an interview), you have to stay an additional 4 years (so basically you're paying for a full year of tuition even if you don't want to take classes or not).

I am taking the MCAT on either April 23 or May 1 and scores will be out by June 1 by the latest.

SGU has a deadline of June 15th, and SMP programs like Tufts and Georgetown are around the same date too (approximately).

It seems (and correct me if I'm wrong) that though SMP programs are more formal, they don't give you as many medical school classes and furthermore, once you're done with them, you have to repeat the classes again the next year anyways (if you get accepted at some medical school)

Whereas with going to St. George's or even Ross or SABA, I could get a year of full classes, and at the same time apply to medical schools in America and transfer out.

Total Cost of Attendance is approximately the same for both programs, but I'm also weighing the option of just taking undergrad classes to boost the overall gpa.

Background: 32 MCAT (10 BS 12 Physics 10 V) and 3.35 overall GPA in engineering.

Goal: To get over a 35 on the MCAT by April 23/May 1.

If you were me, and you want to not have any barriers in getting into a residency of choice, what is/are my best options? Are there any other alternatives that I haven't realized/considered?

Also, if I do not score at least a 35 on the MCAT come this summer, I'll just stick with the Carribbean (because a 3.35 and a 32 is not enough, but a 35 or higher and 3.35 will look more "balanaced" imo).

Also, if I had to choose between SGU/Ross/SABA, which one has the best chance of transferring to American MD schools also taking into account cost factors (with St. George's being the most expensive, and SABA being half the total cost of SGU).

And I looked on SGU's website, but it didn't specify whether or not I needed LORs, do I need them?

Thanks,
Mister T

Ok, so I'll give you my opinion and take it for what you like. I applied to and was accepted to the "top 4" Caribbean medical schools and decided to stay and apply again in the states. That ended up being the best decision of my life. It was a tough one and I nearly took off for SGU. While were on it, I think SGU would be the only one I would attend.

I think planning on a transfer is a pipe dream to be realistic. There are enough US students that can’t get transfers let alone offshore students. I also don’t agree that the cost is the same, moving to the Caribbean is expensive as is their tuition. Not to mention duty and etc (which should be spelled doody).

Why are you even considering offshore? Your MCAT is great, your GPA is fine, you have a great chance at MD or DO here in the states (depending on where you apply, which any would be better than a Caribbean school). You don’t need a 35 MCAT, seriously. If your thinking of getting in a "top tier" school, going to the Caribbean isn't going to impress them at all, in fact possibly the opposite.

If you had to choose, go SGU (more accredited, better clinical sights, better respected). Yes, all of them require LOR, just like schools here.

I don’t know your story, but if your having trouble here, I think your much better off addressing weaknesses in your app (not your MCAT really) and applying again. You can apply to US schools while at SGU (many do in fact) but your talking about more expense and travel costs. You will not get any credit for those classes though so = big fail $$$$$

I don't really feel like you need to resort to the Caribbean or a SMP. A 32 and 3.35 are not bad numbers. As long as you apply broadly and early (and have all the other bells and whistles) you stand a good chance at getting into a MD school. My GPA was 3.35 and I got into 6 schools (5 MD).

This +100

OP, check out pre-allo, where there is a thread on this same topic. Same consensus--transfer to US from Carib is a longshot at best.