Pros/cons of working with a Dental Specific CPA while in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noah Littell

Reaction score
What are people’s thoughts, experience on this? Waste of a few hundred bucks having a dental cpa file their straight forward tax return or is there a greater purpose establishing this relationship early on..

Members don't see this ad.

I've worked with the same dental specific tax accountant for my entire career (26 plus years). He's been there for my 1st partnership buy-in; 3 separate start ups; commercial building aquisition; sale of my ortho practices; and he still does my "simple" tax returns now that I work Corp dentistry.

I always paid him a monthly retainer plus additional fees for returns, etc. We met every quarter to discuss P&L and next year's tax strategy. He is always available to answer any questions.

Having a good dental specific tax acct is vital for your dental career. I can't think of a more important business consultant.

To this day .... Matt (tax acct) and myself are good friends. I've recommended him to every dentist I come in contact with.

Reactions: 1 user
What are people’s thoughts, experience on this? Waste of a few hundred bucks having a dental cpa file their straight forward tax return or is there a greater purpose establishing this relationship early on..

Dental CPA is a waste of time unless you are in the midst of looking to buy a practice and or have a practice. If you are just getting a W2 in residency- just turbo tax it for 50$ and get your taxes done.

If you have a practice, then spend 3-5k to get the taxes done right as there are alot of nuances in s-corp ownership.

I established the relationship with my dental cpa early on by looking through prospective practices and discussing potential cash flows. When I asked him to file my W2 taxes for my associateship- he said just turbo tax it as its straightforward.

Perfect answer! You built up the relationship and trust early on so you’d be able to rely on his her opinion of the practice financials instead of second guessing!