Prospective Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monoloco357

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am a little concerned with my chances of acceptance based on my current MCAT score. I have good extra curricular activities, with thousands of hours of work, volunteering, and shadowing. All of my work is non-clinical, but almost all of my volunteer work is clinical. I have ~350 hours volunteering, with ~1/7 of those hours in a non-clinical setting. I have 150 shadowing hours, and well over 3000 work hours. Additionally, I am president of a student organization, and I have participated in a team sport through another club. I also have ~100 hours of volunteer research time, for I just started this summer, but I will be continuing it until matriculation (assuming I am accepted!). My projected hours are as follows: ~200 clinical volunteering, ~100 shadowing, and ~400 research. My GPA is 3.79, and I majored in chemical engineering. I will be completing a masters in biomedical engineering prior to matriculation (again, assuming I am accepted.). My BCPM GPA is 3.8 (but I didn't factor several classes I have gotten A's in since I am ambiguous as to whether or not they count.) My MCAT scores are as follows: 491 and 505. I took it once last year around september and scored the 491. I recognized that to be my fault, and tackled it hard this summer. My question to the SDN community is: How do I stand as an applicant on paper?

Additionally: Are there things I can do to better myself as a prospective candidate? and Do I need to be concerned with my first attempt at the MCAT? Will AdComs even bother with it since I proved myself with the second exam score?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: I also plan to continue working... ~300 hours projected work time.

The advice you will get is as follows:

1. Move this question to the "What are my chances forum?"

2. Why did you take it last September when you were so badly prepared? A 491 is a low score.

3. Your MCAT scores are on the low side for MD even for schools who only take your most recent scores.

4. You have a good shot of getting somewhere to a D.O. school and possibly your IS MD school if you happen to live in a lucky state.

5. Your options then are these: apply D.O. and matriculate. Or study for the MCAT again and look to score significantly higher like 512+ along with developing an explanation for why you have matured since deciding to take the MCAT unprepared last September.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The advice you will get is as follows:

1. Move this question to the "What are my chances forum?"

2. Why did you take it last September when you were so badly prepared? A 491 is a low score.

3. Your MCAT scores are on the low side for MD even for schools who only take your most recent scores.

4. You have a good shot of getting somewhere to a D.O. school and possibly your IS MD school if you happen to live in a lucky state.

5. Your options then are these: apply D.O. and matriculate. Or study for the MCAT again and look to score significantly higher like 512+ along with developing an explanation for why you have matured since deciding to take the MCAT unprepared last September.
Thank you for the input! Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum; I wasn't aware of the proper forum. How can I move this thread over?

With those two scores you should be focusing mainly on DO schools. Like an above poster said, if you really need the MD then you need to retake and significantly improve, like 512+, and then have a good explanation for the growth. Even then it is most likely less than optimal chances

Reactions: 1 user