Prospective DPT student in need of advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nolan421

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in search of some advice!!! I am a senior and will be getting my bachelors degree in Kinesiology Fall 2012. I currently have a 3.47 GPA with about a 3.9 pre-req GPA, with about 45 units left until I graduate. So far I have interned in 2 settings (outpatient 50+ and inpatient 40+). I plan on interning in another setting. 2 PTs have agreed to write me letters of rec and I am in search of my letter from a professor. I'm also in my last year of collegiate baseball for my school. I just recently got my GRE scores back from the revised version of the GRE (120-180).

V- 144
Q- 152
A- 3.5

I am not the best standardized test taker. I excel in math and science classes. I struggle in English. From that being said should I retake the GRE in hopes of getting a better score? Is it worth the $180? Does the GRE have big impact on the selection process? From my stats above, am I in need of a higher score to be accepted in PT school??

Any advice will help!! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine with your stats. My daughter is a third year DPT student and her stats were similar to yours. Her GRE score wasn't very good but she got into all the programs she applied to. Good luck

I would agree with PT Dad although I am not familiar with the new GRE scoring. My stats, the undergrad in particular, were very similar to yours (even down to the major) and my GRE's were nothing to write home about but I was accepted into two programs and am currently in my first year and doing fine. Just maybe pick up another observation setting then plan on applying when the next cycle starts. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
On the new GRE 150 is about 50%ile........Glad to hear things are going well for you PTootles!

On the new GRE 150 is about 50%ile........Glad to hear things are going well for you PTootles!
Hi Litlwarrior.... I haven't been on the board much, waaayyy too busy. ;) How is your application situation going?

I just went to an information session at Marymount. Someone asked the same question. The PT said the GREs are time, money, and work, and if your scores meet their minimum, and the rest of your application is favorable, then you shouldn't worry about the GREs. GREs don't tell much about the student. Your GPA looks fantastic so far, and you are volunteering in multiple settings. Speak well at the interview, and you'll have a ticket to PT school. I would focus on doing well in your classes and nothing else. If you have the time, go ahead and retake them, but raising your percentile a few points isn't going to earn you praise at any PT school.

Since you asked, I would advice you to spell check your work. Advice is spelled with a 'c', not an s! No one said English was easy to spell!

Kevin