Quantcast

Prospective MD/PhD... which job should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hallelujahworld

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm graduating and want to do research as an assistant/technician for 2 years before doing an MD/PhD program.

I got offered and recently accepted a position with a lab whose PI (PI #1) used to be an associate director of an MSTP before moving on to his/her current institution. However, I was really interested in another position, interviewed and have been offered the position with a lab whose PI (PI #2) is a huge name in his/her field, and director of a research center.

Is it ethical to retract my acceptance to go with PI #2? Would it be more beneficial as an MD/PhD prospie to stick with PI #1, who also is an MD/PhD? I feel like there's a lot of pros/cons to each of them.. the research is different, but I'm interested in both so that's not really an issue. Both have a decent opportunity to publish, though I think it'd be easier to be higher on the author list with PI #1. But PI #2's letter I think would go an extremely long way... What should I be thinking about to make my decision?

Thanks in advance.

Fencer

MSTP Director
10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    PI reputation is not as critical as publishing and demonstrating sustained research interest. It is ethical to withdraw your acceptance because of a better opportunity. Be truthful... but polite. Indicate that the area of PI#2 is better aligned with your long-term interests.

In which lab is it more likely that you publish? (most important)
    Which PI is a better mentor for you?
    What area of research resonates best with your interests?

K31

10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Are both potential PIs physician-scientists? For admissions, at least in my opinion, working with a physician-scientist>working with a more famous PhD-only scientist, mostly because it gives an indication the applicant has at least some idea what they are getting into.

hallelujahworld

Reaction score
    PI #2 is an MD, so a physician-scientist but without the formal dual training. They are both good opportunities so I just feel fortunate to have a choice... I guess I have some thinking to do. Thanks for the advice and help!

Fencer

MSTP Director
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Are both potential PIs physician-scientists? For admissions, at least in my opinion, working with a physician-scientist>working with a more famous PhD-only scientist, mostly because it gives an indication the applicant has at least some idea what they are getting into.

While this point is correct, if there was a higher likelihood of a publication with the PhD scientist, then the PhD mentor would be better. The experience of working with a clinical scientist could be part of your clinical shadowing with a collaborator of the PhD only mentor's lab. That would be a 2nd LOR.