Prospective Pre-Med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peace910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there anyone out there who knows if you have to be in a pre-med program to enter medical school, or is it possible to just major in a science related field. I plan on going into the medical field but am not sure how to go about the whole issue of choosing a major.

You can major in anything as long as you take the courses that most medical schools require for matriculation. These courses generally include a year of biology, a year of general chem, a year of organic chem, a year of physics, a year of english and a lot of them are requiring biochem these days.

Try to use the search function before creating threads, you're just starting out and all of your questions have been answered a thousand times, this is a good one to get you started:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=781767

Edit: also, a status of "fellow" implies that you have completed medical school, residency and are currently completing a fellowship to further specialize. I'd recommend changing your status because some folks around here get mighty ornery bout that stuff.

Take this - you'll need it:

flameshield.jpg

thanks badhorse. this is my first time on this site so the link was helpful.nd yes I will make the changes to my profile.its tough being a newbie ;-)