Prospective Pre-Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Voxee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior in high school at the Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science, where I take all my courses at the University of North Texas. I'm very worried because all these classes will count towards my science GPA, and I haven't done as well as I should have in my science and math classes because of severe ongoing family issues.

Principles of Biology I - C
Principles of Biology II - A
General Chemistry I - B
General Chemistry II - B
Physics (Mechanics) - C
Calculus I - B
Calculus II - B

I will be taking Physics (Electromagnetism), Applied Statistics, and Multi-variable Calculus next semester. I will probably be able to get an A in all of these classes next semester, and will be attending UT Austin or UTD as a Biochemistry major for my freshman year.

I'm aiming to demonstrate an upward trend in my grades and get A+/As (hopefully) in the majority of my undergraduate workload like Organic Chemistry & Biochemistry. If I am able to do that, do reasonably well on the MCAT, and have good ECs/research/LORs/shadowing experience, how much would my high school grades affect my chances of getting into Texas medical schools such as UT Southwestern? I'm worried because the highest I can possibly raise my science GPA to is around the 3.5-3.6 range (assuming I get A+/A in all my classes but that's highly unrealistic)

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently a senior in high school at the Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science, where I take all my courses at the University of North Texas. I'm very worried because all these classes will count towards my science GPA, and I haven't done as well as I should have in my science and math classes because of severe ongoing family issues.

Principles of Biology I - C
Principles of Biology II - A
General Chemistry I - B
General Chemistry II - B
Physics (Mechanics) - C
Neuroscience I - B
Calculus I - B
Calculus II - B

I will be taking Physics (Electromagnetism), Applied Statistics, Multi-variable Calculus, and Neuroscience II next semester. I will probably be able to get an A in all of these classes next semester, and will be attending UT Austin or UTD as a Biochemistry major for my freshman year.

I'm aiming to demonstrate an upward trend in my grades and get A+/As (hopefully) in the majority of my undergraduate workload like Organic Chemistry & Biochemistry. If I am able to do that, do reasonably well on the MCAT, and have good ECs/research/LORs/shadowing experience, how much would my high school grades affect my chances of getting into Texas medical schools such as UT Southwestern? I'm worried because the highest I can possibly raise my science GPA to is around the 3.5-3.6 range (assuming I get A+/A in all my classes but that's highly unrealistic)

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
A steep upward grade trend and a stronger MCAT score, along with the usual and customary excellent ECs that UTSW is looking for, may still get you an acceptance. But don't pin all your hopes on a single highly selective school. Be more realistic and apply to most of your in-state schools. And in the meanwhile, be more cognizant about your time management skills and engage in a suitable load in which you know you can excel (which includes non-school activities). Also, consider NOT graduating from college early, even though you have the credits. Take an extra year to dilute out those lower grades with a wider sea of A grades.

I agree with Cat.

With a strong upward trend, what you did in high school will matter less. But you'll probably want to do extra science courses while in college instead of just letting those count and not making up with more classes. Dilute those out with extra hours.

Assuming you perform as well in the 4 years of college as any other pre-med who didn't take so many college-level credits in high school, you should have a good shot in Texas. You're not doomed or anything.