Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

prospects for pathology residency

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Crepitus Fremitus, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Crepitus Fremitus

Crepitus Fremitus Junior Member

Just wondering if anyone has ideas of where and how someone who wants a good pathology residency should focus their efforts. There's not much info out there beyond what the programs say about themselves. Unlike, for example, when deciding about medical schools there seemed to be more "independent" resources.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. You won't have any problems matching into a good Pathology program. I'm sure you'll get several offers outside of the match as well. Good luck.

4. You don't really have to do anything special to position yourself for an offer outside of the match. Although you are a FMG, the Australian schools are well respected and your USMLE score of 229 makes you a competitve candidate for Pathology. I think there are a few people on this board who signed outside of the match and perhaps they could be of greater assistance. My understanding is that it is generally offered to you and not someone you need to request. I guess you could bring it up at interviews though. All you can really do now is do well the rest of the year and on your electives.

5. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    This is not a hard and fast rule, but generally the better programs do not offer positions outside the match. You are competitive you should just bite the bullet and join the match. As path is getting more competitive fewer and fewer programs will take folks outside. The fact that you are spending some time at programs you are interested in will likely make you a shoe-in as long as you are easy to work with. I know that almost all the people that came to my program for an elective were ranked high. You should talk to the residency directors of the schools you are interested in to find out if they even would consider an outside match.

Good luck.