Prosthodontics: Opinions/Info/Tidbits/Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalPickle

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm an upcoming D1 (shoutout to the class of 2024!) and as of right now, don't have a specialty that I'm focused on or anything, just currently leaning towards general dentistry. Recently, I've been told by a couple general dentists and oral surgeons that Prosthodontics "is the future," which simply struck up my curiousity for the field. I'm definitely interested in implants, restorations, fixed/removable prosthesis.

Anyways, this thread is for anyone who wants to share any info about prosthodontics, prosthodontics residency, or different prosthodontics day-to-day cases. I know there is info on Google but I also value your opinions lol.
Shoot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I'm an upcoming D1 (shoutout to the class of 2024!) and as of right now, don't have a specialty that I'm focused on or anything, just currently leaning towards general dentistry. Recently, I've been told by a couple general dentists and oral surgeons that Prosthodontics "is the future," which simply struck up my curiousity for the field. I'm definitely interested in implants, restorations, fixed/removable prosthesis.

Anyways, this thread is for anyone who wants to share any info about prosthodontics, prosthodontics residency, or different prosthodontics day-to-day cases. I know there is info on Google but I also value your opinions lol.
Shoot!

Prosthodontists are underutilized as many dental schools do not see value in their service. This specialty is very exciting right now with advances in digital techonology. The specialty of prosthodontics also include placing and restoring implants, full mouth rehabilitation, costmetic dentistry, dental photography, fixed/removable prosthesis, sleep apnea, TMD, and maxillofacial prosthdontics.

Check out:

Prosth is great. However you can learn a lot about prosth in the 3 years following dental school, while making more money. Except maxillofacial prosthetics, not that.

focus on dental school for now. You may he surprised with what specialties interest you and which ones you can’t stand once you get some experience with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
The elderly population is growing so there’s always going to be a need for prosth. Prosthodontists will also continue to play a role in dental education as they always have. On the other hand, the number of general dentists entering the workforce is increasing with many of them tackling specialty procedures, so prosth will continue to struggle to brand and differentiate themselves from the crowd.

Reactions: 1 users
Prosthodontists will also continue to play a role in dental education as they always have.
Agree that prosthodontists dominate dental education. If you ever want a more administrative role in the dental school and eventually become a Dean in academia, Pros is the specialty to go.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Who works with OMS and Perio to do those amazing All-On-Whatever restorations? Who can tackle tough full mouth rehab cases day in and day out? PROSTH! Now, that being said, you can do all of that as a general practitioner, but if you want to be a master of restorative dentistry, you become a prosthodontist. I think prosth is one of the most undervalued specialties in the dental world. People treat them like GP in the real world and sent patients or cases that the GP doesnt want to deal with, but if you passionate about it, it can be very rewarding.

Prosth is great. However you can learn a lot about prosth in the 3 years following dental school, while making more money. Except maxillofacial prosthetics, not that.

focus on dental school for now. You may he surprised with what specialties interest you and which ones you can’t stand once you get some experience with them.
I disagree with the first part, but agree very much with the second part. So let me tackle those two statements separately.

You cannot learn in the three years following dental school what you learn in residency in 3 years. I am qualified to make this statement because I practiced as a general dentist for 10 years before deciding to do prosthodontics residency. I hear this mythology being spouted all the time about prosthodontics and quite frankly it irks me a bit. I think many people have been steered away from a career in prosthodontics by this nonsense. Many general dentists can become as knowledgable and skilled as those who have undertaken full time residency, but it takes a lot longer. Part time continuing education can't compare with the immersive experience. Again, speaking from first hand knowledge.

Dental students are often forced to make choices too soon in their dental education that can have significant implications later in their careers. Take the time to develop your knowledge, skill and experience in dental school and after dental school. I would have liked to have had the option to do AEGD when I graduated school. I think everyone would benefit from additional training and experience after dental school before deciding on their career direction. How can you possibly know in 1st or 2nd year of dental school what you want to specialize in? People have barely started looking in the mouth at that point.

Reactions: 4 users
You cannot learn in the three years following dental school what you learn in residency in 3 years. I am qualified to make this statement because I practiced as a general dentist for 10 years before deciding to do prosthodontics residency. I hear this mythology being spouted all the time about prosthodontics and quite frankly it irks me a bit. I think many people have been steered away from a career in prosthodontics by this nonsense. Many general dentists can become as knowledgable and skilled as those who have undertaken full time residency, but it takes a lot longer. Part time continuing education can't compare with the immersive experience. Again, speaking from first hand knowledge
I see. Well considering you actually have firsthand experience with both I take back my statement. When I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

Many general dentists can become as knowledgable and skilled as those who have undertaken full time residency, but it takes a lot longer. Part time continuing education can't compare with the immersive experience. Again, speaking from first hand knowledge.

Agreed. It’s not just the time, it’s also the dedicated effort towards learning, reading the literature, practicing, lab work etc. that the vast majority of dentists don’t do after school.

Shoot!

When you setup your first denture, come back and let us know if you still feel the same way about prosth. I can never be a prosth because I hate removable prosthetics with a passion. I refuse to do any denture in my office.

There's some qualities that I see crucial with a prosthodontist:
1. Patience with patients, lab work, procedures
2. Meticulousness to a whole new level. Dentists overall are meticulous. Prosthodontists are in the upper echelon of detail-orientedness
3. Great at communicating/bs - get along with difficult/frustrated/unwanted patients and set expectations low
4. Passion for what they do. Even scratching the outer surface, I have no passion in labwork, waxups, reconstructions, try-ins, deprogrammers, etc... Even though the digital age is upon us and a lot of it can be done digitally, it's still time consuming. You really have to make sure you love it to the depth that a prosthodontics residency will bring.

Reactions: 4 users
When you setup your first denture, come back and let us know if you still feel the same way about prosth. I can never be a prosth because I hate removable prosthetics with a passion. I refuse to do any denture in my office.

2. Meticulousness to a whole new level. Dentists overall are meticulous. Prosthodontists are in the upper echelon of detail-orientedness
3. Great at communicating/bs - get along with difficult/frustrated/unwanted patients and set expectations low
4. Passion for what they do. Even scratching the outer surface, I have no passion in labwork, waxups, reconstructions, try-ins, deprogrammers, etc... Even though the digital age is upon us and a lot of it can be done digitally, it's still time consuming. You really have to make sure you love it to the depth that a prosthodontics residency will bring.
But border molding is FUN!

This is why they created implants ;) people were fed up with boarder molding.

But border molding is FUN!

It can be fun and satisfying when you get excellent suction. It's not fun because it's time consuming and unpaid.

This is why they created implants ;) people were fed up with boarder molding.

Unless you're doing an implant supported removable prosthesis, but implants makes the extensions a little more forgivable.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can be fun and satisfying when you get excellent suction.
Speaking of dentures, I have a question that I hope someone can help me here. I’ve been doing a couple arches of complete dentures so far, and I’m usually able to get adequate suction with border molding. However when I fabricate the SBOR using pink Triad the base always get unstable and no suction when inserted into patient’s mouth. To the point where it is almost impossible for me to do teeth try-in. Is there a reason for this and how can I fix it in the future? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
what is SBOR? if it is the jaw relation wax rim just use some powdered adhesive while doing jaw relations or wax try in to help hold it in. when they process the denture the shrinkage of acrylic grabs all the intricate anatomy and usually will fracture your cast. I kind of assume that is a good thing. lets wait for the real prosthodontist to chime in but this is what I've observed. I have had countless cases of great suction after border molding/ master impression to "flop around" at wax rim/ wax try-in which turned out perfectly fine once the case was processed. happens a lot

what is SBOR? if it is the jaw relation wax rim just use some powdered adhesive while doing jaw relations or wax try in to help hold it in. when they process the denture the shrinkage of acrylic grabs all the intricate anatomy and usually will fracture your cast. I kind of assume that is a good thing. lets wait for the real prosthodontist to chime in but this is what I've observed. I have had countless cases of great suction after border molding/ master impression to "flop around" at wax rim/ wax try-in which turned out perfectly fine once the case was processed. happens a lot
Thank you for your response. I have experienced the same thing with the base plate flopping around but after being processed the acrylic dentures turn out to be good and stable (and yes the cast was destroyed). I just need to use a lot of powder adhesive during try-in and sometimes the prosthodontist faculty I worked with got frustrated because of that.

Speaking of dentures, I have a question that I hope someone can help me here. I’ve been doing a couple arches of complete dentures so far, and I’m usually able to get adequate suction with border molding. However when I fabricate the SBOR using pink Triad the base always get unstable and no suction when inserted into patient’s mouth. To the point where it is almost impossible for me to do teeth try-in. Is there a reason for this and how can I fix it in the future? Thank you very much!

Maybe the shrinkage factor/adaptation on the cast of the Triad material. In school, I remember having to do the old school monomer/salt and pepper method in fabricating record bases. Perhaps you can do an intraoral reline with your record bases/try in for better stability. I'm only speaking on hypotheticals because it's been awhile since I've done one, but these are some of the ideas that come up with troubleshooting your problem.

Obviously a bit off topic, but when I'm teaching dental students, many of them do not extend the record base adequately on the master cast. So in other words, the base should fill the vestibules completely - make sure to block out any undercuts with wax so that you can get the record base off the cast without damaging it. The other thing that I like to do with my maxillary record bases is to trial my tentative posterior palatal seal design. So I scribe it in the master cast and fill it with triad when fabricating the base. Lastly, Triad shrinks so it should be manufactured in two parts for the maxilla. The palate should be left out first and every other surface covered, then cure. Then add the palatal section and cure again. For mandibular record bases, they should be adequately extended to match the border molding. Mandibular record bases tend to be more challenging in terms of retention and stability but gravity can be an aid. I can't remember the last time I didn't have a maxillary record base have a good peripheral seal (one of the benefits of doing a pros residency maybe ;) ).

Is there a difference doing the triad one piece on the maxilla? I had great results with palatal seal with one piece of triad.

As some of the posts already said, focus on dental school and try to explore different specialties. Talk to residents and see if you can shadow them and pick their brains. I also think it's important to see what the specialty is like outside of academia. So I'd suggest visiting private offices of all specialties as well.

To OP, I think that they meant the field of prosthodontics is the future not the specialty. Which yes, I agree that crowns, bridges, removable, implants are our future because of our ever aging population.

Many reasons for not having suction on a record base. Remember that a record base is made by blocking out the undercuts so definitely not as retentive as a processed denture base. If you want to test drive how much suction you have, you can ask the lab for a processed denture base to fabricate your occlusion rims. However, you should get enough retention to maintain the maxillary record base intraorally without the adhesive. Sometimes depending on how much you blocked out, denture adhesive works.

Also, adequate suction doesn't necessarily mean border molding is correct. Make sure the BM is properly extended and all anatomical features are captured. Incorrectly poured master casts also does not produce accurate record bases.

Just my two cents.

Are there any virtual courses, virtual bench test, etc. for Pros, that anyone would recommend?? I graduated DDS some time ago am now focuses don Pros, and need to get back to that basics ASAP on the Pros side to regain skill set...thanks!