kareem

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hi all,

i'm starting to learn Chemoembolization and i notice that doctors working just wear the protective lead apron only without wearing any eye wear,is it really necessary to put protective eye wear in these procedures

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
hi all,

i'm starting to learn Chemoembolization and i notice that doctors working just wear the protective lead apron only without wearing any eye wear,is it really necessary to put protective eye wear in these procedures
Absolutely... Radiation induced cataracts are no joke.

My residency provides leaded eyewear. You should ask to have eyewear made available.

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
During chemo-embo, anyone in the room should be wearing protective eyewear

The crew doing the angio part should wear it for protection from ionizing radiation. Anyone handling the highly concentrated chemo agents should wear it to avoid absorbing a wallop of cisplatin through their nasal mucosa (you know, where the tears go after you sploshed your eye).

A basic set of leaded goggles goes for about $200. With a correction or with proper leaded side-shields they go into the $450 range.

Btw:
professional charge for phacoemulsification and cataract extraction is about $600 medicare, the surgical fee runs about $2000 medicare. Assume you pay full price and you have two eyes, you are looking at 10k.

About the Ads

scuba5794

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status
Non-Student
During chemo-embo, anyone in the room should be wearing protective eyewear

The crew doing the angio part should wear it for protection from ionizing radiation. Anyone handling the highly concentrated chemo agents should wear it to avoid absorbing a wallop of cisplatin through their nasal mucosa (you know, where the tears go after you sploshed your eye).

A basic set of leaded goggles goes for about $200. With a correction or with proper leaded side-shields they go into the $450 range.

Btw:
professional charge for phacoemulsification and cataract extraction is about $600 medicare, the surgical fee runs about $2000 medicare. Assume you pay full price and you have two eyes, you are looking at 10k.
agreed leaded eyewear should always be worn during these procedures however you don't have to spend this much on you can check out this site for cheaper ones here is the direct page for lead glasses they have a bunch of styles to choose from price depends on which style you want but they all provide protection.

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
agreed leaded eyewear should always be worn during these procedures however you don't have to spend this much on you can check out this site for cheaper ones here is the direct page for lead glasses they have a bunch of styles to choose from price depends on which style you want but they all provide protection.
You want to make sure they
- have side shields (if you look at the monitor and fluoro, the scatter will actually enter your orbit from the side)
- have the proper lead equivalency rating and use quality leaded optical glass (e.g. Schott)

As mentioned, PPE (personal protective equipment) is something the hospital has to provide.
For convenience sake, you want to have your personal lead and glasses if you do this long-term.

About the Ads