1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Protein as Fuel in Cellular Respiration

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by skyisblue, Apr 15, 2007.

1. skyisblue

Pre-Dental
    Please let me know if this explanation/description makes sense and is missing any pertinent details....(i feel like something's not right here)

Okay, when proteins are used as fuel in cellular respiration, it is first hydrolyzed into their amino acids. Most of these amino acids will be used by the cell to make its proteins. Excess amino acids will be converted to other organic cpds. When being converted to other organic cpds., the amino groups are used to make other cpds. or disposed in urine. The leftover part of the amino acid now without the amino group are converted to intermediates in cellular respiration.

Does that sound about right?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan!

Pre-Dental
    I am little confused with the explanation but here is what I know about proteins:

When, glucose storage is used up, anterior pitutary relases ACTH, which increases the production of cortisol. Cortisol help break proteins in to amino acids, which are then deaminated in the cytoplasm (the by-product is NH3, which is converted to urea in liver). The deamination process is done by the peroxisomes. Now the deaminated a.a are then used in the metabolism (not sure but maybe they enter the cell metab. as acetyl coA).

Also, know that when insulin is present, it promotes the synthesis of proteins from a.a so they will not be used as fuel, rather it promotes the use of glucose, which will help get rid of glucose!

Speaking of protein metabolism, also know the fatty acid metabolism.

Hope this helps