Protein-Bound vs. Free (Ionized) Calcium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asaha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I understand that plasma calcium is found in both protein-bound and free (ionized) forms. Why does alkalosis increase the amount that is protein-bound?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Calcium and H+ compete for some of the same protein binding spots. With a drop in H+ (alkalosis), this frees up some of the protein binding spots for calcium and leads to lower levels of free calcium.

patient hyperventilates and blows of Co2 --> respiratory alkalosis --> increased pH --> increased negative charges on albumin, increased binding of calcium to albumin without decrease in total ca++; decreased ionized calcium --> tetany

it is due to a competition of sodium and calcium for channels in neurons. i don't think its with hydrogen

UCLAstudent is right. Ca++ binds apartic and glutamic acid residues on albumin. these AAs are very sensitive to pH. A higher PH deprotonates them even more allowing greater binding of Ca.

Members don't see this ad :)
I learned it from Chvostek and Trousseau

I wonder how cool you had to be to have two sign's named after you (Trousseau)?

learned the ca stuff from class.

speaking of signs, I think the Chandelier sign is the coolest. also, Courvoisier's sign just sounds badass.

patient hyperventilates and blows of Co2 --> respiratory alkalosis --> increased pH --> increased negative charges on albumin, increased binding of calcium to albumin without decrease in total ca++; decreased ionized calcium --> tetany

it is due to a competition of sodium and calcium for channels in neurons. i don't think its with hydrogen

UCLAstudent was talking about the competition b/t H+ and Ca++ for binding sites on Albumin...

you were talking about the tetany mechanism on neurons:

which i think just has to do w/ the altered Membrane Potential (due to decreased extracellular/positively-charged 'free' Ca++)
--> less depolarization is needed to get to the threshold potential and so there is increased firing of AP --> muscle contraction

(i've never heard of the Na++/Ca++ competition for channels in neurons)

In regards to neurons I believe hypocalcemia leads to tetany by obviously lowering the threshold of the neuron. This occurs d/t Na+ channels becoming more permeable to Na+, and thus more Na+ leaking into the neuron thus lowering the threshold. That's how I've understood it.

In regards to neurons I believe hypocalcemia leads to tetany by obviously lowering the threshold of the neuron. This occurs d/t Na+ channels becoming more permeable to Na+, and thus more Na+ leaking into the neuron thus lowering the threshold. That's how I've understood it.

yeah the voltage gated Na++ channels become activated b/c of the lowered threshold, but there's no "competition" w/ Ca++