Proton NMR: pi conjugation & aromatic ring equivalence

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
hON6uDI.png

First of all
wtfclips_0_standard_730_0.gif

Second of all, is this something we should know for the MCAT? I've literally never heard of pi conjugation negating the equivalence of protons in an aromatic ring. Are there any other obscure "exceptions" that I should know about? I didn't know the MCAT tested on complex splitting, either.

Ibn Alnafis MD

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2008
Where the past and the future intersect
forums.studentdoctor.net
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hON6uDI.png

First of all
wtfclips_0_standard_730_0.gif

Second of all, is this something we should know for the MCAT? I've literally never heard of pi conjugation negating the equivalence of protons in an aromatic ring. Are there any other obscure "exceptions" that I should know about? I didn't know the MCAT tested on complex splitting, either.

This question is tricky. My answer was A :(.

It requires several folds of knowledge in order to answer it (knowing how many non-equivalent hydrogens exist, knowing that the n+1 rule applies only to equivalent hydrogens, and remembering the rules regarding deshielding). I wouldn't expect it to be on the test, but if it were, it is still a fair game.

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I dont see 8 non-equivalent H.....

5 on the ring and 3 on the chain.

The pi conjugation eliminating symmetry seems a little harsh for an MCAT question. I do think you should know the splitting though, as this one is pretty straightforward and definitely something you could see on the test.

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.