drteeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
South FL
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey everyone this is my first post and I am so excited to have stumbled upon SDN. The info. I have seen so far has truly been inspiring to me, and has helped me realize that, although i have a sub-3 GPA, dental school has not been eliminated from my dreams.

A little about my undergrad career so far:

• Senior at Indiana University, Bloomington
    Psych. B.S. major, Bio minor and possible Chem minor
    +/- 2.9 Cum. GPA
    +/- 2.5 Sci. GPA
    Have not taken DAT's or applied anywhere YET
    I had one semester in particular that really screwed me - 1.5 semester GPA including a D- in gen. chem 1!! I believe I went through a bit of depression during this semester hence the problems, but it was not clinically diagnosed and therefore I dont think it could be excused or overlooked in any way??
    I have done TONS of volunteering, shadowing, assisting, and some research

So this leads me to my first question:

Being that, as indicated, my performance to this point has not by any means been remarkable, I am thinking about doing some post-bacc work, or perhaps continuing with research that I am going to be doing in a neuroscience lab starting next semester. I was therefore wondering if anyone can suggest some websites or other info. that will help me find some post-bacc programs (preferrably in the northeast or somewhere in Florida which is my home state). Additionally, I was wondering if research may be a viable option compared to post-bacc work as far as strengthening my resume?

Thanks for any help and I look forward to becoming an active member of the SDN!!

iambatman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2005
Status
wow, i'm very impressed with you post 'layout' format. great job!

oldboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status
I am an IU B-town alumni as well.

bkwash

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2005
Boston, MA
Status
Dental Student
hey i like your screen name....you probaly don't know this but Dr. Teeth is a pretty famous video director, anyway do a google search for post-bac and check the syracuse website it has a good list, also, check the post bac thread on SDN

VegasBabyVegas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Utah
Status
Pre-Dental
drteeth said:
Hey everyone this is my first post and I am so excited to have stumbled upon SDN. The info. I have seen so far has truly been inspiring to me, and has helped me realize that, although i have a sub-3 GPA, dental school has not been eliminated from my dreams.

A little about my undergrad career so far:

• Senior at Indiana University, Bloomington
    Psych. B.S. major, Bio minor and possible Chem minor
    +/- 2.9 Cum. GPA
    +/- 2.5 Sci. GPA
    Have not taken DAT's or applied anywhere YET
    I had one semester in particular that really screwed me - 1.5 semester GPA including a D- in gen. chem 1!! I believe I went through a bit of depression during this semester hence the problems, but it was not clinically diagnosed and therefore I dont think it could be excused or overlooked in any way??
    I have done TONS of volunteering, shadowing, assisting, and some research

So this leads me to my first question:

Being that, as indicated, my performance to this point has not by any means been remarkable, I am thinking about doing some post-bacc work, or perhaps continuing with research that I am going to be doing in a neuroscience lab starting next semester. I was therefore wondering if anyone can suggest some websites or other info. that will help me find some post-bacc programs (preferrably in the northeast or somewhere in Florida which is my home state). Additionally, I was wondering if research may be a viable option compared to post-bacc work as far as strengthening my resume?

Thanks for any help and I look forward to becoming an active member of the SDN!!
Ohhh...I remember the days when I too thought that schools cared a lot about anything but GPA and DAT scores....aahhhh.....but then I realized that it doesn't matter if you found the cure for cancer, if you don't bring your GPA up a bit and get a good DAT score, they won't interview you to hear about your Nobel Prize. Best is to take science classes and do well in them to boost your GPA....then worry about research.

oldboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status
VegasBabyVegas said:
Ohhh...I remember the days when I too thought that schools cared a lot about anything but GPA and DAT scores....aahhhh.....but then I realized that it doesn't matter if you found the cure for cancer, if you don't bring your GPA up a bit and get a good DAT score, they won't interview you to hear about your Nobel Prize. Best is to take science classes and do well in them to boost your GPA....then worry about research.
:thumbup:

OP
D

drteeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
South FL
Status
Pre-Dental
glad to see some other hoosiers in the house:) Not glad to hear about research not helping - i hate numbers! Anyways, thats why im posting this and I guess so far its looking like post-bacc is the way to go. any more feedback would be appreciated!

iambatman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2005
Status
Sprgrover said:
Welcome to SDN!
Yeah, Welcome. BTW, Sprgrover is the coolest MOD. His posts are the MOST honest to read.

drengineer

Back to surfing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
Sprgrover made me chop my head off this afternoon. He said he was a head in my voice. I mean a voice in my head.
But he's very honest and helpful for sure

OP
D

drteeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
South FL
Status
Pre-Dental
aaaah i found what i was looking for - the sdn post-bacc FAQ page! Why didnt I find this website 10 years ago!?!?!