Proud to be an Optometrist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not actually in Optometry school, but I am currently an applicant.However I wanted to make this thread because I am saddened by the inferiority complex that I feel alot of optometrists carry around.

On this forum I see individuals posting up threads that compare salaries, job satistfaction rating, employment rates and other stats (that are kickass in any case ;) ) for optometry. I doubt any of that occurs on the MD forums.

I believe what optometrists should be truely proud of is the fact that although optometrists do not get the same sensationalization as other physicians and health care professionals, WE STILL CHOOSE TO PRACTICE.

To me, this means that when one chooses to practice optometry, it reflects a care and empathy of the individual in taking care of another's health in the "purest" form, without the possibility of those intentions being confounded with the desire to be rich (although optometrists make a very comfortable living) and famous (eg: "to be like House").

I come from a university that frowns on any health related professional program except for Medicine, and Pharmacy. For me, even with all that saturating my everyday life, I still choose optometry.

To all the optometrists, even if someone marginalizes the practice of optometry, no one should correct that individual. Optometrists everywhere should be happy that that are actually doing health care in the "purest" form, with the intention to help others.

Hopefully this little essay doesn't anger anyone else, I don't mean to insult anyone.

I got to head back to study for exams. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I actually think optometrists are revered by the community. Pharmacists, on the other hand, don't receive celebrity and are usually ignored. There are customers who don't accept their advice, to the point of being unpleasant. Or at least that's what my pharmacist sister says.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think optometrists are revered by the community. Pharmacists, on the other hand, don't receive celebrity and are usually ignored. There are customers who don't accept their advice, to the point of being unpleasant. Or at least that's what my pharmacist sister says.

Oh dear Lord. Celebrity? This thread is full of the blind leading the blind, or more just the blind talking out of their asses.

I come from a university that frowns on any health related professional program except for Medicine, and Pharmacy.

What University is that? McGill?

Just curious, :p

Or at least that's what my pharmacist sister says.
:bullcrap: He/she more than likely had one bad day, vented to his/her sister. Then said sister goes to you " Pharmacists have no 'Celebrity'." Plus never relay sister, cousin, uncle, friend said this. Only mention something if THEY said it.

Oh dear Lord. Celebrity? This thread is full of the blind leading the blind, or more just the blind talking out of their asses.

I don't know if celebrity is the right word, but if you've ever lived in a fairly small town, people like physicians, dentists, optometrists, school principals, preachers, are highly respected and well-known people throughout the community.

I don't know if celebrity is the right word, but if you've ever lived in a fairly small town, people like physicians, dentists, optometrists, school principals, preachers, are highly respected and well-known people throughout the community.

Again with the respect thing.....

People....please, please, PLEASE understand the following:

1) Many people have no respect for doctors (of all types)
2) Many people have no respect for lawyers (of all types)
3) Many people have no respect for clergy
4) Many people have no respect for teachers
5) Many people have no respect for the President.
6) Many people have no respect for the last President we had
7) Many people will have no respect for the NEXT President.
8) Many people have no respect for plumbers (until that toilet overflows)
9) Many people have no respect for cops

You all really need to stop thinking about and being concerned about how "respected" you're going to be.

Some other poster on here once posted that the only people who seem to be universally respected are:

Astronauts
Ninjas
Maybe Mother Theresa

That's about it.

There is an old poem titled "The Man in the Glass." Do a google search for it, and read it. Basically, the "man in the glass" is the only person you should crave respect from.

You all really need to stop thinking about and being concerned about how "respected" you're going to be.

Some other poster on here once posted that the only people who seem to be universally respected are:

Astronauts
Ninjas
Maybe Mother Theresa

That's about it.

There is an old poem titled "The Man in the Glass." Do a google search for it, and read it. Basically, the "man in the glass" is the only person you should crave respect from.

I think Samurai are more respected than Ninjas! :D

Try paying the bills with RESPECT...:rolleyes:

Astronauts
Ninjas
Maybe Mother Theresa

That's about it.

That wasn't my point. I was merely trying to point out the celebrity-like view that many well-educated people obtain in a small community. Thanks for the lecture though. :rolleyes:

Olympic gold medalists are also highly respected. If the profession has been mentioned in at least one metal gear game, it's probably well respected.

That wasn't my point. I was merely trying to point out the celebrity-like view that many well-educated people obtain in a small community. Thanks for the lecture though. :rolleyes:

You can also obtain this celebrity-like view in a small town by getting a DUI or
being a registered sex offender.

You can also obtain this celebrity-like view in a small town by getting a DUI or
being a registered sex offender.

Hardly the same thing. Your astute insight is always appreciated though, eyestrain.

The Guy in the Glass by Dale Wimbrow, (c) 1934

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,

And the world makes you King for a day,

Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,

And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,

Who judgement upon you must pass.

The feller whose verdict counts most in your life

Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,

For he's with you clear up to the end,

And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test

If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,

And think you're a wonderful guy,

But the man in the glass says you're only a bum

If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,

And get pats on the back as you pass,

But your final reward will be heartaches and tears

If you've cheated the guy in the glass.