providence to boston (Logan)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reverend doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all you New Englanders!

I'm trying to figure out travel arrangements for my Brown interview, and am finding it impossible to find flights out of Providence (back to Minnesota). Would it be possible to make it back to Boston via public transportation for a 7:15pm flight, assuming the interview day ends at ~4:30?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to figure out travel arrangements for my Brown interview, and am finding it impossible to find flights out of Providence (back to Minnesota). Would it be possible to make it back to Boston via public transportation for a 7:15pm flight, assuming the interview day ends at ~4:30?

Thanks!

The commuter rail does a straight shot between Providence and Boston...it takes about an hour. From South Station in Boston you can take the silver line to the airport...last time I did that, it took about 20 min. Both schedules are on the MBTA's website (http://www.mbta.com).

train might be easier

Members don't see this ad :)
commuter rail's the best bet - they'll drop you off at the station with nary a traffic issue. on the other hand, you could try the highways via bonanza bus from kennedy plaza to south station.

Thanks!

bonanza has also just started service to thayer st. (I think by the tunnel). So you may want to look into bus options. You shouldn't have any problems making you're flight...

The commuter rail does a straight shot between Providence and Boston...it takes about an hour. From South Station in Boston you can take the silver line to the airport...last time I did that, it took about 20 min. Both schedules are on the MBTA's website (http://www.mbta.com).

Listen to this one. Definitely take the train...it's much more likely to be on time than a bus and it's cheap! $6 for the commuter rail, then $1.25 for the silver line to the airport. The silver line drives around all the terminals, so it will drop you off right where you need to be.

Thanks, everyone. I was planning to take the commuter rail, so I'm glad to get second/third/fourth opinions on that.

I'm just a little concerned about the time frame -- whether ~1 1/2 hours will be enough time knowing I have to get to the providence train station, transfer to the silver line, etc. I'd like to get to the airport at least 1 hour before the flight

Thanks, everyone. I was planning to take the commuter rail, so I'm glad to get second/third/fourth opinions on that.

I'm just a little concerned about the time frame -- whether ~1 1/2 hours will be enough time knowing I have to get to the providence train station, transfer to the silver line, etc. I'd like to get to the airport at least 1 hour before the flight.

If your interview ends at 4:30, you would have to grab the 5:10 train out of Providence and get into South Station at 6:23, and then get on the silver line and get to the terminal at Logan probably around 6:45-6:50. If you can get out of the interview earler, by 3, you can get the 3:17 train and get into Boston at 4:23 with plenty of time- those are your options, at least for the train.

If your interview ends at 4:30, you would have to grab the 5:10 train out of Providence and get into South Station at 6:23, and then get on the silver line and get to the terminal at Logan probably around 6:45-6:50. If you can get out of the interview earler, by 3, you can get the 3:17 train and get into Boston at 4:23 with plenty of time- those are your options, at least for the train.

Thanks, ds776! That was really helpful. I might just have to stay another night and miss work the next morning. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to use another day off -- I don't have that many built up!