1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

PS and BS content

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by DOC1987, Jul 26, 2006.

1. DOC1987

DOC1987 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so i THOUGHT i knew all the material pretty well by now, but apparently not bc when i take the kaplan PS and BS tests im still not doing as well as i want to! i have noticed that the passage-based q's basically fall into three categories: 1) pure knowledge based, 2) knowledge based but you have to apply info from the passage, and 3) purely passage based. Am i right in my thinking?? Sadly, this last category, the purely passaged based ones are the ones i'm mainly getting wrong. Is it true that you can usually just pull these ones STRAIGHT out of the passage? If so then maybe I just need to do more practice right? what do you guys think? aren't those supposed to be the easier q's to answer?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, there are many PS and BS questions that come straight out the passage. Typically this involves manipulating a formula (PS) or simply interpreting a passage like you would in VR (usually on BS). I think the hardest part about these questions is recognizing that in fact you CAN answer them straight from the passage. A common mistake is a taking too much time thinking about it, and then possibly overthinking, a question.

4. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Redneck Woman
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think most of the answers can be found somewhere in the passage. I agree, you're probably just over thinking the questions (unless you're not doing well on the VR sectiona as well). You need to look at what you are missing when you're getting these questions wrong. I really liked the Kaplan book because it explained the correct answer and I was able to determine why I was choosing the wrong answers. Practice will help in this. :luck: