PS and HIPAA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about anyone getting in trouble for violating HIPAA in their Personal Statement?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened. HIPPA regulations are starting to get a little out of control now, and it can all be traced back to one isolated incident. It's just plain dumb how strict it is now.

How would you violate HIPAA? By disclosing personal/medical information about someone you came into contact with while volunteering or something? As long as the person cannot be uniquely identified (first and last name, social security number, etc.) you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my training on HIPAA, even if they person cannot be uniquely identified you should release no information on the nature of their illness.

Pinkertinkle said:
From my training on HIPAA, even if they person cannot be uniquely identified you should release no information on the nature of their illness.

What if you talk about your parents' illnesses.

Well that's different, you never sign anything saying you can't talk about your parents. If its volunteering or hospital work, you gotta sign all sorts of nondisclosure agreements, and violating them can be big trouble.

Pinkertinkle said:
Well that's different, you never sign anything saying you can't talk about your parents. If its volunteering or hospital work, you gotta sign all sorts of nondisclosure agreements, and violating them can be big trouble.

Oh yeah, that's right. i got to edit my PS a bit now. Thanx for the thread.
Seriously

Premedtomed said:
Oh yeah, that's right. i got to edit my PS a bit now. Thanx for the thread.
Seriously

Hey you're welcome, just glad to give everyone a heads up on this HIPAA nonsense.

One way or another, either by being nonspecific or acknowledging that specifics have been changed, keep those lawyers off our backs.

Shoot. I already submitted mine in, and I mentioned two patients who influenced my decision to go into medicine. I gave them fake names placed in quotation marks, but I did mention their illnesses. :(

UCLAstudent said:
Shoot. I already submitted mine in, and I mentioned two patients who influenced my decision to go into medicine. I gave them fake names placed in quotation marks, but I did mention their illnesses. :(
Don't worry, if anyone asks, just pretend you changed the illnesses without specifically noting that you did so.

UCLAstudent said:

I'm sure you'll be fine. I highly doubt a lawyer will EVER see your PS.

I wrote about a patient in my PS and my interviewers didn't seem to mind. I never mentioned any names in the PS.