PS Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natusss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are they looking for?
arrrrrrrrrg! I have been sitting in front of my computer for the past 2 hours, and I am not able to write anything!!! any tips? comments?
anything will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how far along you are, but one thing that helped me was to start by writing stream of consiousness. Working like this without making corrections helps to get the ideas out on paper in a rough form. Afterwards you can use those rough ideas to make something more coherent and convincing.

As for what they are looking for, the obvious is why you want to practice medicine. It's more important to give a good sense of who you are and what is important to you than to worry too much about what they want to see. I feel your pain though. I'm hammering out my PS as we speak. It has been a long process, but I'm starting to get close. Always nice to see others are going through the same thing. Misery loves company afterall.

Veshy said:
I don't know how far along you are, but one thing that helped me was to start by writing stream of consiousness. Working like this without making corrections helps to get the ideas out on paper in a rough form. Afterwards you can use those rough ideas to make something more coherent and convincing.

As for what they are looking for, the obvious is why you want to practice medicine. It's more important to give a good sense of who you are and what is important to you than to worry too much about what they want to see. I feel your pain though. I'm hammering out my PS as we speak. It has been a long process, but I'm starting to get close. Always nice to see others are going through the same thing. Misery loves company afterall.

yeah... I just wrote an outline.. so i guess i am doing a lil better. its just so frustrating. :S
I have a question though. My last two years of high school, I did a special program, so by the time i graduated from HS, I recived my AA degree. and it so happened, that I got my AA before my HS diploma. Should I explain this in my PS somewhere, of if they have questions about the info given in my application they will ask me? (sorry if I dont make any sense. its 2 am here :p)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, interesting situation. My hunch would be that you don't need to worry about discussing it in the PS. As a general rule the PS should only be for explaining how you have come to the conclusion to become a doctor. Unless getting your AA early was influential in your decision to pursue medicine, leave the situation out. It might be something interesting to discuss during an interview. Anyone else?

yeah.. the whole thing was so confusing! they wouldnt give me my diploma because you need a GED or HS degree to get your AA, so they waited like 6 months until I officially graduated from HS.
But... it didnt really influence me to pursue a career in medicine, so Ill leave it out. Thanks for all your help! :)

Glad I could help. Good luck!

Thanks! Good Luck to you too! :)