PS length?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premyo2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the 5300 characters include TAB when you indent?

I will gladly give good karma to people that can answer this for me! :luck: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

heh... i was in dire need of characters on my PS. I don't think I indented my paragraphs... I don't think the TAB is an accepted character, in which case the formatting would be lost anyway once you submit it. You can always indent by just leading with 5-7 spaces (but that would take away from your character limit)

SpiffyJWC said:
heh... i was in dire need of characters on my PS. I don't think I indented my paragraphs... I don't think the TAB is an accepted character, in which case the formatting would be lost anyway once you submit it. You can always indent by just leading with 5-7 spaces (but that would take away from your character limit)

YEAH!!! karma for you

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no need to tab your pargraphs.

Just put a space in between each paragraph like so.

XYZ...

ABC...

Just a note, when I submitted my PS, it looked like crap on the AMCAS receipt. Apparently they did away with formatting just to save space or something. So don't freak out.

karma for both of you!!

so it has to be no more than 5300 charachters?

premyo2002 said:
karma for both of you!!

I believe spaces are counted. I think carraige returns are counted as one (or maybe even two). Don't take my word on this, I might have it confused with a secondary... =\

SpiffyJWC said:
I believe spaces are counted. I think carraige returns are counted as one (or maybe even two). Don't take my word on this, I might have it confused with a secondary... =\
I think carriage returns are two, spaces are one. To indent, I think I just used two carriage returns to make a new paragraph.

so where do we find out for SURE the minimum and maximum length of a PS statement?

uclakid said:
so where do we find out for SURE the minimum and maximum length of a PS statement?

AAMCAS's website when it is up will have the info.

5400 charachters max. Each return counts as one space. Do not indent. Add two returns at the end of each paragraph to make the PS more readable. As a last resort you can remove one of the spaces after every period to save space. It doesn't look to bad when you do.

skiz knot said:
AAMCAS's website when it is up will have the info.

5400 charachters max. Each return counts as one space. Do not indent. Add two returns at the end of each paragraph to make the PS more readable. As a last resort you can remove one of the spaces after every period to save space. It doesn't look to bad when you do.
Heh, I ended up having to go down to one space after periods to get it under the limit, but it didn't look bad at all so that is a viable way to do things.

My PS length is 12"