PS: Not too many calculations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrGoMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, there are only around 10-12 calculations on the real Mcat. Friends who took the real april and august told me this. Is this true? They also said the calculations were very basic. Anyone who took the real deal agree?

Members don't see this ad.

OrGoMan said:
From what I understand, there are only around 10-12 calculations on the real Mcat. Friends who took the real april and august told me this. Is this true? They also said the calculations were very basic. Anyone who took the real deal agree?

I haven't taken the real deal... but everyone (including my TPR instructors) says the same. The real test is more conceptually oriented.

I've taken it, and you are correct. There are not very many calculations, and when you do have to calculate something, the math will work out easily.

OrGoMan said:

Yes, your friends are on the right track. The MCAT writers are emphasizing more on conceptual problems rather than calculation problems. However, you still need to memorize the important equations.

On the real MCAT, I didn't do pencil-and-paper calculations- its stuff you can do in your head. When I studied, I memorized equations, but moreso than knowing them and plugging in the numbers, the real tests had me thinking "well, if this doubles, then that gets divided by four" and so forth. So its more about knowing how X is related to Y than plugging and chugging, as I saw it.