PS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mwebs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you are only supposed to comment on grades in your PS when they are really sub-par (like a C or something) but up until this past Fall semester I had straight A's with 1 B+ in 2.5 years of school. This past fall I got a B-/B in orgo 2 (lecture/lab) and a B+ in physics 1. I dont want the adcom to think I was overwhelmed by the coursework. It was due to tons of personal stuff going on at the time (I got engaged the weekend of hurricane Sandy, and my fiance is from Long Island and suffered a lot of damage in the storm, so I didn't exactly focus as much as I would have liked to). Should I include this in my PS or not?

Members don't see this ad.

The PS is the place for you to talk about your desire to go into medicine. This is not the place to address your shortcomings. You really shouldn't even talk about getting C's in your PS. Talk about what interests you in medicine and basically tell your story.

Most secondaries will give you an opportunity to explain any academic shortcomings. THAT is where you talk about your grades.

No, it should not be in your PS. The ONLY time you should bring up grades in your PS is if you failed (got less than C) in multiple classes, as this could be a red flag. Getting a couple B-'s isn't a red flag, even if your record was pristine up until that point.

In fact, don't even bring it up in the interview. If they have questions about it, they can ask. If they specifically mention it's a closed file interview (they don't know your grades or MCAT score), then you may be able to get away with saying that there was one semester where you didn't do as well because you had a lot of personal stuff come up, but even that's pushing it for those grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not, I repeat, do not bring up grades above a C on your app, or anywhere else, unless specifically asked. They won't be noticed as much as you think, and it will only hurt you to draw attention to them.

Case in point- I went to an interview, and was asked about any red flags on my app. I thought my B- in physics was considered a red flag, and mentioned it to my interviewer. He replied he hadn't even noticed it until then, but when he did, he frowned, and the interview went downhill from there. End result: straight- out rejection.

oh ok, guess that stays out then... thanks guys