PS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vido

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people,
I am here stuck in my personal statment. I am trying to include all the EC's i've done and i think would make a differnce in the decision but this is taking me more than the allowed limit of words.

So should i mention all the EC in the personal statment or should if just let them read about some of it in the AMCAS application.

This might be asked before but i thought that i could just ask!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to mention all ur ECs in your personal statement. That is why there is a section where you can list the activities you've done. You just talk about one or two events and how it has influenced your decision to study medicine. Or you can talk about anything you want. It is a personal statement, not a curriculum vitae.

I'm working on the PS as well...but I am only using a couple meaningful ECs. It would be impossible to discuss all of them while still writing a coherent essay within the character limits. Discuss the ones that really meant something to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey people,
I am here stuck in my personal statment. I am trying to include all the EC's i've done and i think would make a differnce in the decision but this is taking me more than the allowed limit of words.

So should i mention all the EC in the personal statment or should if just let them read about some of it in the AMCAS application.

This might be asked before but i thought that i could just ask!

Thanks
Never use your PS to simply list activities. You can do that in the EC section. Pick a couple or so that have had significant influence on your career choice, and flesh those out. Interwind them with themes in your essay. If you try to cram too many EC's into your statement than those themes become impossible to follow and the essay becomes incohesive. The PS is a piece of writing where you get a chance to prove you belong in medical school, it is not a place to redundantly list your activities.

Thanks, i think that's what i am going to do. Everytime i start writing i stop because of limits issues now i will try to make it shorter