PS sounds like AMCAS activities list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supertrooper66

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm touching up my PS and I think it sounds pretty good so far. After reading it over and over, I realize half of it is just using what is written under the AMCAS activities and shelling it out in story form. For example, I mentioned my research experience in PS and briefly talked about it. My AMCAS obviously has more on the research with all of the details. so, i feel like i am sort of repeating myself.

i don't know...what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

i have the same problem. i realized that i wasnt telling them why i wanted to go into medicine, i was telling them why i would make a great medical student/physician and using all my expereinces as examples to support that claim. im gonna do some revisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to think of meaningful stories that you remember from your ECs that demonstrate why you want to be a physician. If you tell a story it will certainly be different than what was seen in your EC list and will be more interesting to the reader.

Everyone loves a good story.

So,...I have a somewhat unconventional PS, definitely not a rehash of activities, it's very personal in content and style. Anyways, I got some positive remarks on it by interviewers, so if you want to read mine, just pm me. Haha, it's nothing awesome mind you, it's not all that inspirational or remarkable, but when I was writing and brainstorming my PS it really helped to see other people's finished ones from years past to help me find my own voice and style and approach. Hehe, and if you like it, I'm happy to help edit your PS if you think I'm useful in that capacity, and if you hate my PS, then at least you feel better about yours! It's a win win I think :)

General tips i got from my english prof that were useful:
Show, don't tell (so instead of saying "my unique experiences, describe it vividly and let the reader judge)

Themes can be a great unifier (mine was "fight", my essay was about my experiences learning to fight physically in martial arts, learning what I was fighting for while working in a clinical setting, and my goals to fight for patients' quality of life. It might be gimmicky, but it ties an essay together nicely when there's a thematic thread)

Think about how you would explain to your best friend your motivations for medicine, if you can convey that sense of enthusiasm, intimacy, and honesty then it's probably a very memorable PS.

Your last paragraph shouldn't be a summary of your previous points (it's not a science paper conclusion), it should make it's own point as well as tying things together, and should be as strong as your opening. And preferably shouldn't end in "and thats why I want to be a doctor"

Your last paragraph shouldn't be a summary of your previous points (it's not a science paper conclusion), it should make it's own point as well as tying things together, and should be as strong as your opening. And preferably shouldn't end in "and thats why I want to be a doctor"

This sounds awfully important. I was under the impression I should sum everything up (in case the adcom had forgotten by that point, I guess :confused:)

This sounds awfully important. I was under the impression I should sum everything up (in case the adcom had forgotten by that point, I guess :confused:)

Well, hopefully if you did the PS write, they shouldnt have forgotten the point (i.e. that you really really want to be a doctor) at any time while reading it :p

I mostly mean that you don't want the cookie-cutter rehash paragraph like "My clinical experience made me realize "...", while my EC opened my eyes to ... which makes me know I want to be a doctor" I mean, if you've explained already how valuable those experiences were, you don't need to rehash it. instead, use your final paragraph, the LAST THING they read from your PS, as a chance to creatively convey the most important, poignant things about you that you want them to go away knowing.

That's the advice I got, and tried to follow anyways. Hope that helps? Good luck! It's frustrating, and heart breaking, and nerve racking to write a PS, I know, but it'll be worth it!

Well, hopefully if you did the PS write, they shouldnt have forgotten the point (i.e. that you really really want to be a doctor) at any time while reading it :p

I mostly mean that you don't want the cookie-cutter rehash paragraph like "My clinical experience made me realize "...", while my EC opened my eyes to ... which makes me know I want to be a doctor" I mean, if you've explained already how valuable those experiences were, you don't need to rehash it. instead, use your final paragraph, the LAST THING they read from your PS, as a chance to creatively convey the most important, poignant things about you that you want them to go away knowing.

That's the advice I got, and tried to follow anyways. Hope that helps? Good luck! It's frustrating, and heart breaking, and nerve racking to write a PS, I know, but it'll be worth it!

Listen to Textuality... she know's what she's talking about haha

What's your/anyone elses opinion on focusing on the caring aspects of being a physician (what I'm doing) while applying to many "research-powerhouses." I don't mention research/anything related to it in my conclusion.

Do you feel that they'll think, "Hey, this guy cares most about patient care blah blah .. but doesn't convey whether or not he'll want to continue research in the future."

What I've heard is they like to see a hook...hopefully something from your experience that symbolizes why you want to do medicine. Whatever else you put in really doesn't matter, it just has to have that "hook", so they can say "Oh yea he's the one with XYZ in his PS." Think of an interesting/symbolic event and try to integrate it.

Listen to Textuality... she know's what she's talking about haha

What's your/anyone elses opinion on focusing on the caring aspects of being a physician (what I'm doing) while applying to many "research-powerhouses." I don't mention research/anything related to it in my conclusion.

Do you feel that they'll think, "Hey, this guy cares most about patient care blah blah .. but doesn't convey whether or not he'll want to continue research in the future."

I'm interested in research and I did discuss this in my PS along with stuff relating to the caring aspects of being a physician. I'd say you should definitely leave it in. If you have lots of research experience and only focus on that in your PS, the adcom may be left wondering why you didn't apply to a PhD program instead of MD.