PSA: MUO and Toledo merge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pontifex Maximus

Rads-a-palooza
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I wonder what changes will be implemented. MCO and UT are on different campuses in different parts of the city. So, will MUO just become UT-School of Medicine or will there be some attempt to integrate the two campuses somehow? How would that be accomplished, teach undergrad courses courses at the med school and/or teach med classes at the UT campus?

I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also interested to see the implications of this merger, and excited. MUO is my top choice so far. I think it will help NIH funding etc, and possibly hook the medical school up with more hospitals downtown...I hope to find out more soon.

Thank you very much for the info Cozmosis!

Punkinhead said:
I am also interested to see the implications of this merger, and excited. MUO is my top choice so far. I think it will help NIH funding etc, and possibly hook the medical school up with more hospitals downtown...I hope to find out more soon.

Thank you very much for the info Cozmosis!

I think it will be great for both institutions. But MUO is already hooked up pretty tightly to the downtown hospitals. Most rotations have students passing through St. V's and many at Toledo Hosp. The board has done a great job the last couple of years making these connections.

The rumor around school (it supposedly came from the President of MUO) is that the new combined institution will result in an immediate jump in research rankings. The new institution will rank third in the state (after Ohio State and Case Western) in total research funding in all disciplines.

There's also been some pretty strong talk the last couple years about a "Technology Corridor" of MUO, UT, BGSU, a community college, and Toledo Hospital among other sites. There's an old railroad track that isn't currently used that they're planning on building some type of transit connecting those sites.

i am psyched! is anyone else strongly considering being an MUO 2010'er? because I'm like 90% sure i'm headed there. :)

is there gonna be a new name? and location, will that stay the same? hallm i don't understand what you're saying w/ connecting those sites...am i slow? :)

i loved the school and the faculty when i interviewed
now if only they will take me off the alternate list :mad: :(

Crys,
I don't think I was very clear. The Technology Corridor that UT and MUO are pushing is an idea to create an area that emphasizes more research and economic development in biotech and other science-driven industries. Part of that program is the construction of a "people-mover" (some type of train or tram on rails) that will connect UT, MUO, a couple hospitals, the community college in Toledo, and Bowling Green St. university. The land is currently available because there's a railroad spur that already connects all those areas, all the developers would have to do is use that. This is still a few years off assuming that everything goes as planned....in fact I probably won't see it unless I stay in Toledo for my residency. I brought it up to point out that UT and MUO have been working together, and I think the official merger will help both institutions.

As The Blade reported yesterday, the University of Toledo name will persist (they had initially considered renaming the new institution the University of Ohio, but dropped that idea when everyone realized how close it was to Ohio University in Athens). The medical campus will be known officially as "Medical University of Ohio: The Health Campus of the University of Toledo." Kinda cumbersome, so I think it will still be known as the Medical University of Ohio in common usage. The new MUO/UT will be similar to Albert Einstein College of Med. since AECOM is technically part of Yeshiva University but everyone knows it simply as Albert Einstein COM. It seems there are a couple more school around the country with a similar setup. I hope that made a little sense.....

Thanks HallM for the explanation!! :) It does all sound very cool, it makes me even more excited about MUO next year! :)